Plastic water bottles

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have two 1 litre olive green army style water bottles and a 2 Quart version. I have no idea where I got them, probably on ebay which was about 10 years ago. I think they were quite cheap?

Do these plastic bottles degrade over time and do they have a usable life like modern plastic drinks bottles? I see bottles like the 58 pattern say BPA free and while I probably won't fully know if my bottles contain this chemical but I would like to know if plastic can 'go off'?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
41 year old bottle still going strong!

I was just wondering if old plastic can leech owt into the water? Modern drinks bottles break down after being used repeatedly but maybe purpose made water canteens are made out of different plastic?

Steve

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The thing that does most damage to plastic things is sunlight. Specifically, the ultra-violet part of the sunlight. If your bottles have been kept out of the sun for most of their lives you probably don't need to worry about it. If the bottle seems OK when you squeeze it, it's probably OK.

For food use, I think BPA is only a concern in old polycarbonate containers. It's not so much because of the age of the containers as the manufacturing processes that were used when they were made. After the BPA scares the manufacturers changed their ways. You're unlikely to use containers made of PVC for food because PVC stinks, but it can leach BPA.

Lots of good info online, for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Having said all that a pop bottle from the supermarket is a lot lighter, more flexible and cheaper. Most of the time that's all I use.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Basically any hard plastic object contains BPA ( that is what it is basically, a plastic hardener) unless other wise stated, such as the latest nato water bottles..
Food cans/tins that have a plastic lining also contain BPA.
As ged said UV is the worst enemy of plastics but you can usually tell by look & feel if the plastic has deteriorated. I think your water bottles are probably OK they arn't made from the same material as drinks or mineral water bottles.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Good stuff thanks.

My bottles are pretty much unused and have been stored inside. I have been using a 500ml drink bottle for carrying water when out and about but it's only enough for a brew and a pot noodle so needing something bigger I dug out my old bottles and a litre is a much better amount plus it has a belt carry jacket which frees up space in my gas mask bag for other stuff.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE