Plastic Mora Sheaths...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good question, well presented, deserves an answer!! No idea! :p

I'd imagine it will be fine, and if not it's only a tuppence ha'penny sheath anyway. If the sheath is ruined, just carry your knife in your teeth!! :D

Reactions: bambodoggy

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Hang on, I'm about to load up the dishwasher ..........

I'll bung in a mora sheath and see what happens. I will be very surprised if it suffers any damage at all.

let you know tomorrow !

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Yeah, they can be sterilized and put in the dishwasher. To do the DSC level 2 you have to have a knife and sheath you can sterilize and the course instructor reccomended the frosts clipper to me because the knife and sheath can both be put in the dishwasher and sterilized :) hope this is of help mate :D

S

Selous

Sorry to go off the subject (dish washing sheaths!!! I'm tough, me. I always use a dirty knife..) but does anyone know where I can get an alternative to the plastic sheath on a wooden handled Mora? Mine has snapped off where the thin plastic bit you attach to your belt joins the sheath proper.

Great knife, incidentally. Much prefer it to my Ray Mears one. I know it's personal, but I find the RM knife too hefty.

Merry Xmas.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Selous said:
Sorry to go off the subject (dish washing sheaths!!! I'm tough, me. I always use a dirty knife..) but does anyone know where I can get an alternative to the plastic sheath on a wooden handled Mora? Mine has snapped off where the thin plastic bit you attach to your belt joins the sheath proper.

Great knife, incidentally. Much prefer it to my Ray Mears one. I know it's personal, but I find the RM knife too hefty.

Merry Xmas.
Options:
1. Buy one.
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
is probably a good place to look. But by the time you add on postage it will cost more than the knife.

2. Get someone to make one for you.
But will cost you more than the knife itself.

3. Make one yourself. :aargh4:
More straight forward than you would expect.
Leather work is a whole new addiction to absorb your time and your money.

But my Favorite is ........
4. Carry your Mora knife in the Ray Mears sheath. This is probably a very cool thing to do. A sort of "up yours" to any knife snob you may meet. :lmao:

Jon.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jon said:
Options:
1. Buy one.
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
is probably a good place to look. But by the time you add on postage it will cost more than the knife.

2. Get someone to make one for you.
But will cost you more than the knife itself.

3. Make one yourself. :aargh4:
More straight forward than you would expect.
Leather work is a whole new addiction to absorb your time and your money.

But my Favorite is ........
4. Carry your Mora knife in the Ray Mears sheath. This is probably a very cool thing to do. A sort of "up yours" to any knife snob you may meet. :lmao:

Jon.

I will go with number four - one in the eye for the knife snobs - if you cannot make your own!
Beware - leatherworking is a serious addiction and I am a happy adict....pass the awl will you?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Selous,

Talk to Singteck mate (he's a member here and you can PM him). He had made a few sheaths for me ...including this one

300092136_97e8164990.jpg

300092135_80b1f1d6d4.jpg

I think his work is top notch (no relation etc.)

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jon said:
Hello, my name is Jon and I am a Skiver .......

Whats all this? Opening a branch on LWA (Leatherworkers annon)?
My name is John and I have not done any saddle stiching for three days.......
Do we need help that much?.... OK yeah we do!

S

Selous

Thanks to you all for your views and advice.

I must say, I'm seriously tempted to have a go at making my own, but I have no idea how to even start. Where do I buy leather? What sort? Are there any idiot guides to leather work? Where do I get the tools to start?

(I am particularly taken by the suggestions I use the Ray Mears sheath. Cocking a snook at knife snobs. (what is a snook?) Trouble is, it goes in all the way, and I have to stand on my head to get it out!)

Regards

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Have you visited British Blades? There are loads of tutorials and loads of people that have loads of info so that you can make loads of sheaths for loads of different knives and then sell them for loads of money!! :rolleyes:

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE