Plastic bottle fish trap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
This has been done before but there's a lot of pics that don't display on the threads so I'm doing a stripped down version with a couple of questions at the end (hence the reason for doing it).

fish_trap_1.jpg

Take one plastic bottle (this is a three litre one).

fish_trap_2.jpg

Cut it around the neck and reverse the cut bit in to make a Lobster pot design. Push a hot metal skewer through both the body and the reversed top and secure with freezer bag ties. Add some string to lower it in and out. Finally, fill with a few stones and a bait.

fish_trap_3.jpg

I've tweaked the colours and circled an American Signal Crayfish that showed some interest (probably mooched off when it realised it was only bread on offer =D).

fish_trap_4.jpg

Now from what I've seen Minnows are as greedy as they are dumb! These are my questions: Where is the Minnows' survival instinct and is there a nack to getting other types of fish in?

I took my kids out to an area that gets massive Minnow sized mixed shoals, literally Roach/ Rudd swimming together with Perch and Pike to try our luck.

The fish were interested from the off and weren't put off even when I lowered the trap into place in very clear water, but they only venture as far as the bit where the lid would go and turn away. I wondered if bait other than bread would work but equally they were interested with bread in it.

Mang

Settler
Well it worked...

I had some success with a modified fish trap. It has the string to give the crabs purchase and a line of weights inside, finishing with a weighted bait box…
crab_trap_1.jpg

…There were three in this trap but two managed to leg it before I could take the picture. I know Shore crabbing is more children’s bush craft (and I will put this on there too) but I reckon if the mouth were cut smaller and a frill cut around it like it would be a decent crayfish trap. I noticed a prawn trap in a fishing shop which was essentially two of these together dimension wise, that size trap might have caught this fella when I tried it the River Dart…
crab_trap_2.jpg

I’ve seen woven baskets on the River Test which are used at night to catch these beasties.
crab_trap_3.jpg

I also had some success with a modified pier landing net by putting stones and a bait box in. As mentioned I other threads it was effective at catching prawns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE