plants

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
can some one give me a good list of edible plants that I can find in my local woods at the moment . yes I have food for free but more info will help or is there a home study corse that i can do thanks jason :lmao:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
jason sears said:
can some one give me a good list of edible plants that I can find in my local woods at the moment . yes I have food for free but more info will help or is there a home study corse that i can do thanks jason :lmao:
Well, 'Food For Free' offers a lot ;)

As to distance learning, although I have not attended myself, I have heard only good things about the;

Wild Food School

They do distance learning courses too. Details from the site for info;
Distance Learning courses - these are a mixture of CD-ROM [and possibly video] and paperwork, sent out about 3 or 4 times a year; and very much likely to be an on-going series rather than one-off 'how to' instructions. The particular medium and frequency will ultimately depend on what the seasons bring. The cost will be about £50-75 over the year.

Modules 1 includes start-up documentation, an optional presentation binder, and a CD-ROM to cover the Spring months. Module 2 takes you into, and through, the Summer. It includes more documentation, a CD-ROM. Module 3 covers the autumn hedgerow harvest such as hazelnuts, damsons and...wait for it... acorns. Please get in touch if you'd like more details. If you like the idea of learning more about edible wild plants from a distant corner of the UK, or to fit in with your busy schedule, then please drop an e-mail.Distance Learning courses - these are a mixture of CD-ROM [and possibly video] and paperwork, sent out about 3 or 4 times a year; and very much likely to be an on-going series rather than one-off 'how to' instructions. The particular medium and frequency will ultimately depend on what the seasons bring. The cost will be about £50-75 over the year.

Modules 1 includes start-up documentation, an optional presentation binder, and a CD-ROM to cover the Spring months. Module 2 takes you into, and through, the Summer. It includes more documentation, a CD-ROM. Module 3 covers the autumn hedgerow harvest such as hazelnuts, damsons and...wait for it... acorns. Please get in touch if you'd like more details. If you like the idea of learning more about edible wild plants from a distant corner of the UK, or to fit in with your busy schedule, then please drop an e-mail.
To keep you gojng, there is a very nice, free to download, 'FAST Wild Food Cookbook', and other books, photos, recipes etc here;

The Really WILD Food Guide

Very useful resource :)

I posted some details of seasonal foraging yesterday here;

Forest Harvest - Gathering Calendar

There is a LOT of info in the Lovely Grub forum, so have a dig.

happy foraging :)

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
You could also have a look for 'The Hamlyn Guide to Edible and Medicinal Plants of Britain and Northern Europe', Thoroughly enjoying this book at the moment.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
PJMCBear said:
You could also have a look for 'The Hamlyn Guide to Edible and Medicinal Plants of Britain and Northern Europe', Thoroughly enjoying this book at the moment.
That's an excellent book which I would thoroughly recommend. However Ibelieve it is out of print. Where did you get you copy PJ?

Details;

Launert, E.: The Hamlyn Guide to Edible & Medicinal Plants of Europe and Northern Europe. 1981, 4th. impression 1989. Hamlyn. ISBN No.0-600-56395-2

Original print details;

Paperback: 288 pages. Publisher: Hamlyn (Sep 1981). ISBN: 0600352811

Last time this book was mentioned it was available used on Amazon for £134 :eek: Someone had picked it up for £2 at a car book sale ;) If you see it, buy it!

The thread is here;

Edible & Medicinal Plants - Real good read!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Amazon, for 3 quid and was so chuffed :D . Second hand obviously, but in very good condition. It's the 1981 print, but I don't think it's any different to the 1989 reprint.

I've just checked both evilbay and Amazon and there's none available. :( I did see one go for 80 quid :eek: on ebay about a week ago, so there are some still around.

I'll keep an eye open for more copies. Could be a nice little earner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE