planting calendar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
We are aiming to plant lots more veg this year. Does anyone have a good planting calendar that we could follow? we are pretty new to the gardening game so any help would be welcomed.

Our primary aim is to eat more than the bugs this year :rolleyes: we'll see........

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Thanks for the heads up guys - another excuse for more books! :D

do either of them have a 'January sow X, plant out y. February sow z etc.......' type listing as that is what we are looking for.

I know we could work it out from the packets but if there is a pre done one that would help ;)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The Garden Organic website has quite a good section on what to do in your garden this month. You can get the archive for the full year here.

Mind you, it makes a big difference where you are and what the weather's like... In Wiltshire you'll probably be OK, up here we usually need to push everything back a few weeks.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Excellent Dunc - that's just the type of thing we were looking for, Thanks! :D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The missus got me a handy thing for Christmas, I call it the wheel of fortune.
Basically a card wheel that when you turn to the type of veg you want, it tells you what you need to know - sowing tips, spacings, type of soil, which month to plant/harvest. Really useful and only a couple of quid.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the new self sufficiency handbook by john seymour, obviously an absolute classic for many reasons, has a really good year planner section with sowing/transplanting/harvesting times, etc. even better is "food from your garden" from the readers digest, oldish book ('78iirc) so a little out of date with some things but really valuable information, pretty much anything you could want to grow has its own section with information from growing season to recipe suggestions, there's also a really good section on common pests. If you PM me your address i'll do you a copy of the year planner from john seymours book.

stuart

I'd second the recommendation for The Complete Guide to Self Sufficency by John Seymour. or the Self Sufficient Gardener by the same author. in fact the gardener one is probably more useful if you dont want to learn a range of other skills than veg growing.
i used it when i had a HUGE garden in the back of my last house and we had a great yeild of veg throughout the time we were gardening.
however it does mainly deal with the more traditional fruit and veg so if you want something more exotic it might not be the best option
Sam

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive been growing veg for 8 years (would have been longer except i had no garden as a lad) i bought many books and to be honest your best just A.) picking veg you actually eat and more importantly ones that a expensive to buy(relatively speaking) if space is limited do not bother with staples such as taters and onions you will not grow enough to what you use... B.) dont bother with the books they cost money and are very repetitive you more or less answered your own question the best plans are on your seed packs they have all the info you need on them and come with the cost just put the chart into a spreasheet or something if you need it. After a few years youll just know when to plant what from experience and relate it to your own geographical position in relation to frosts etc..

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Of course! - Seymour!!! - i'd completely forgotten about that....... i'll dig it out when I get home goodjob

also will check out the 'no dig' man - I like the sound of that! ;)

on bugs ns stuff ive had good sucsess with using copper to stop Slugs tho i know pople who say it dosnt work

i gro a fair bit in containers and big planters so build in large water storage auto watering if i can as i never remeber to water every day :rolleyes:

The patio
back2june08.jpg

the raised Bed
back3june08.jpg

Salad bar
let1.jpg

French Bean spire has a 20ltr resivoir and capilery water system in the bottom can go over 1 week in hot summer
Bean2.jpg

more tubs
plantwtr.jpg

ATB

Duncan

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
also will check out the 'no dig' man - I like the sound of that! ;)

Yeah, Charles Dowding's book is well worth a look. It's my main reference, although you do have to remember that his timings are based on conditions in Devon.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I think they say that the weather advances about one week for every 100 miles north you go? so if you have a book from Devon that says plant in week 8 and you live in Manchester, plant in week 12.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I like your auto watering devices esp the bean pole Duncan. Is the pole home made and are the bottles just simply inverted or do they have something cunning on the bottom?

we used a few pots last year but this would make life even easier ;)

I like your auto watering devices esp the bean pole Duncan. Is the pole home made and are the bottles just simply inverted or do they have something cunning on the bottom?

we used a few pots last year but this would make life even easier ;)

teh bottles have drip spikes which are cheap t oget from most places tho i think you can just loosen or spike teh cap of teh lemonade bottles some work with the bottoms cut off i use these for hanging baskests to save wasting most ofteh water (put a pot underneath with another plant to catch the over flow)

teh bean pole i did make afer seeing a few similer they are easy to do and cheap
this one used a big paint pot
Bean3.jpg

Bean4.jpg

and some plastic tubes which you fill with compost or cappilery matt etc

the filler is the brass tankard which i fitted the center pole (tube) thru ;)
Bean1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE