Plantar fasciatus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Weight loss if needed, insoles in boots/shoes, avoid standing on cold floors too long.
I suffer with both feet 18 1/2 stone and previous foot injuries.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I've had it in my left foot, unfortunately its something that seems to take forever to get better, one thing i found with mine was that When i worked on my anterior pelvic tilt, which helped with tight tendons which then intern helped with the plantar fasciatus. sounds odd I know, the Doc just gave me exercises and pain killers but I couldnt get on with them. Have you got tendor/tight achilles aswell?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Has anyone any experience of this condition and remedying it?

Thanks

Yes, I had it really bad at one stage due to being extremely over weight and having to walk and standing all day in cheap safety boots.

It got better when I ditched the boots and started wearing my trainers again all the time instead of the boots.

I asked about it on the forum a while ago on this thread and there were some useful suggestions to help deal with it.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Painful, feel for you mate.

Yup, I've had/got it. Previous injures to foot/ankle and of course that was the one that got it worst. I did, as a desperate measure, have a steroid jab in it, that's an interesting experience, take it from me.

It's supposed to be a self limiting injury, I was told up to 18 months. In my case it was a bit longer and very occasionally I still get the odd twinge. The annoying thing is it didn't matter what footwear I put on, one day it would be ok in one pair and the next day, same pair, excruciating again.

Lift your heel up in your footwear, I made a wedge from some old insoles and put it under my footbed.
Physio helps, roll a tin food can forwards and backwards under your foot, ice packs, stretching by pulling your toes up towards you, etc. There's loads of info on the net as it's a common injury.

Good luck with it.

P.s. It's Fasciitis ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have it. The thing that helps, the only thing...is stretching out the Achilles tendon. If I stretch for a few minutes each evening, I am good to go the next morning. If I don't, I get varying pain in my arch from the moment I get out of bed.

Weight wasn't my problem...at a mere 10.5 stone. Some of the exercises I was given by the people who made my orthotic insoles was what sparked the problem off in the first place! A lot of the arch exercises tighten the Achilles tendon which then pulls on the underside of the foot. Grrrrrrr!!!!

Best of luck

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have it. The thing that helps, the only thing...is stretching out the Achilles tendon. If I stretch for a few minutes each evening, I am good to go the next morning. If I don't, I get varying pain in my arch from the moment I get out of bed.

That makes sense - the tighter the Achilles is the more the foot will want to 'Plant'

OMark

Mar 26, 2017
UK
I had it once when I was running a lot, I think the best remedy is rest and recovery. Basically get the inflammation down. Also stretching it on a roller or tennis ball may help.

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
I suffered for years with it while distance running. Physio, rehab/prehab worked OK but it was only cured from being barefoot as much as possible, including barefoot running, and avoiding trainers and heavy boots as much as possible. I'm not one of those crazies who says go up the mountains barefoot but rather wearing huaraches or barefoot in your day today life, toughening up the bones and tendons in the foot so that a few days running, climbing or mountaineering isn't an issue any longer

As a distance runner at 65kg I suffered and at 105kg I was fine just so long as I kept my feet tough, though being heavier sure doesn't help matters .

The high arch insoles made things worse and just weakened my already injured feet

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I posted this on the linked thread, but have updated the links here. My PF has still not returned

I also suffered from PF a couple of years ago, but it was linked to very tight calf muscles. I had chronic exertional compartment syndrome in both calves, and having had a bi-lateral fasciotomy (cut the fascia surrounding the calf muscle to give it room) i began to suffer from really bad PF.

I used a combo of superfeet (as Ogri recommends) insoles, I have now changed these to SOLE footbeds which i prefer, and extensive calf stretching. I found normal calf stretches did not go deep enough, so in the recommendation of a physio I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Po...08&sr=8-15&keywords=trigger+point+performance

And one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/66fit-Achi...&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=calf+stretching+cradle

This allows a much stronger, focused and pro-longed stretch which made a huge difference to me. Essentially if the calves are too tight it effects your gait and both these factors apply more pressure to the foot fascia.

After about three weeks of using these the PF went away, and hasn't returned. I still use them both 2-3 times a week, my calves feel amazing after each session. They was quite expensive to buy, but only the same as 3-4 physio sessions would have been, and has proved to be a long term solution for a very painful and debilitating problem.

The fascia is a continuous membrane running through the body, if you have very tight calves this will have a direct effect on the feet. You can also use the massage balls in lieu of a tennis ball to massage the balls of your feet. They are a better size and don't compress as much. If you're walking around all day, especially in poor boots, then tight calves are almost an inevitability.

These are also well reviewed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Physioworx...1BOYWI5U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_sims?ie=UTF8

Last edited:

bonzodog

Oct 1, 2008
norfolk
Been giving me pain on and off the last ten years,the tennis ball thing has not worked for me.Tried different boots,insoles,socks ,nothing worked so far.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE