Plantain Seeds

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I saw loads of broad-leaved plantain yesterday with masses of seed heads - I thought I had seen that these could be ground into a flour for dampers, etc. but haven't been able to find much information on this...

...so wondering if anyone else can tell me anything?

Thanks.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
All I've found so far (www.pfaf.org) for seed usage (leaves are covered in various sources) is that the seed can be ground and used as a 'flour extender' - (i.e. you do need some flour as a base) or boiled to produce a form of sago. Would be interesting, as gathering the seed is dead easy - just strip them off the stem with your fingers - and where I walked there must have been hundreds, if not thousands, of the plants.

My concern about personal experimentation is potential toxicity - I want to get a few references before I do any experimentation.

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gather the seeds and rinse them thoroughly. If you do this in a metal sieve it kind of rubs off the scales as they swirl around in the water, failing that just squish them around in a mug with a fork. Drain off and then bash them with something; mortar and pestle at home, a stick in your mug when out. Pour over hot water and bring slowly to a simmer. Turn off heat and allow to sit....it's a bit like couscous to make.
The reason for bashing the seeds is to allow them to soften in the water water more easily, it's not necessary if you have time and equipment to let them simmer for while. The seeds swell up with a clear gelatinous coating like quinoa but greeny brown and not so tidy looking.
Seeds like plantain and docken are usually parched before use, that is scorched or tossed above flames, to burn off the husky bits. This is fine if you know what you're doing, if you get it wrong dinner is ash though :rolleyes:
Personally, parched and bashed seeds are added to stew to thicken and enrich it.

cheers,
Toddy

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
I wonder if the seeds parched the same way as RM parched seed in a basket with hot stones swished around would work for this type of seed

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I thutght I read somewhere that plantain is good for sore throats and the like. Would it have medicinal properties then?

Funnily enough, talking of seeds, I have a strange bunch of seed bearing stalks growing in the garden. I think they may be oats. Anyone care to take a look?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Gather the seeds and rinse them thoroughly. If you do this in a metal sieve it kind of rubs off the scales as they swirl around in the water, failing that just squish them around in a mug with a fork. Drain off and then bash them with something; mortar and pestle at home, a stick in your mug when out. Pour over hot water and bring slowly to a simmer. Turn off heat and allow to sit....it's a bit like couscous to make.
The reason for bashing the seeds is to allow them to soften in the water water more easily, it's not necessary if you have time and equipment to let them simmer for while. The seeds swell up with a clear gelatinous coating like quinoa but greeny brown and not so tidy looking.
Seeds like plantain and docken are usually parched before use, that is scorched or tossed above flames, to burn off the husky bits. This is fine if you know what you're doing, if you get it wrong dinner is ash though :rolleyes:
Personally, parched and bashed seeds are added to stew to thicken and enrich it.

cheers,
Toddy

Seems like (for me anyway) the person that contributes the most down to earth and just plain interesting information on this site is Toddy.

Its always done in a cheerfull manner and should be in a book.
Ta muchly, you rate very high on my "who would you want to go on a walk through the countryside with" list and I don't have the foggiest notion what you look like either so its not that.
It's very much appreciated.

Regards Scott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE