Plant ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Its kinda-like a giant dandelion... Its not in any of my books though.

kMaAt.jpg

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL... Should have really put it to to one side for scale. Thats a medium size one, they get bigger.

Its on arable grasslands, looks very brassica, Just more leaves in centre at the mo, but it does flower I'm told just to mix it up...
Not a million miles from something on here after just looking up some brassicas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_narinosa

There is a row of spines on the central rib underside, but they are more like fine hairs rather than actual spines. The texture is soft.
I'll get some better pictures of the crown and underside in the morning.

Thanks for your help F, al.

Last edited:

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
This one has me a bit stumped, it looks like it may be from brassicaceae. It'd definitely not burdock anyway. You should go back and visit it in another month or two and see if a central stem and flowers have developed, which will make identification a lot easier!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks so far guys... Its deffo not Burdock.

Had the guy I go out foraging with stumped for 4 years!
It does produce a large, thick stem about 7-8 feet in the summer. Its also everywhere around the site pictured.
The leaves are sessile, with a fine row of hairs down the central spine (Underside)

I have more pictures to put up later, taken today. Cheers, al.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The leaves do look a little dock-ish but the way they are organised does suggest brassica ......could this not be a hybridised brassica ? ..something like a cauliflower cross pollinated by a wild brassica species for example..

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Not that I'm aware of... But if anyone knows a botanist, feel free to send on the picture. The one above is just a baby compared to others on site.

Its deffo unusual, as I know we have some very experienced people on here.... I'll post the newer pictures, but it wont be until round 2am tomorrow.

Last edited:

xylaria

From the photo i can't the features that would tell me it is a brassica, I would need to see the whole leaf and lobe shape at the bottom. Wild brassicas are very varible in size and shape to some extent, esspecially as it arible land, they seem to get cultivated genes in them. The ball mustard that grows llanelli morfa gets nearly as large as high as you discribe and has large leaves, but the leaves dont look like that.

Yours looks more like pickly lettuce or wild lettuce, these are obviously composits not crucifers though.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
There must be some kind of flower at the end of the stalks/stems, any chance you could let us know the colour ?.....would help narrow it down some........if they're red or yellow it won't take us long to ID it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE