Plant ID, please (used in south Portugal for making fire)

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Rui

Tenderfoot
This plant was used in Algarve (South Portugal) for making fire. But I have no idea of the species designation.

p1020732z.jpg


The fruit:

p1020733b.jpg
 
Last edited:
When dried and smashed it catch sparks. When burning it´s almost impossible to extinguish without water.

I collected some fruits, they have a small single seed. I didn´t try yet to sow them.

Thank´s for posting Rui, I had never heard of this plant.

Here are two other plants that were used for flint and steel firestarting:
Ferula communis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferula) was used in ´the mediterranean´ and Staehelina dubia (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staehelina_dubia) was until quite recently used in Southern spain so there is a chance that this last one grows in mainland Portugal as well.

Cheers,

Tom
 
SOme times my father told me abot the use of this plant as tinder.

Today I've open a plastic bag where I have some fruits gadered in March. Then I tested with a Clipper sparkler.

[video=youtube;Sqe6iCqwvrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqe6iCqwvrA[/video]

This apiacea is from Mediterranean region. Didn't found any writen references about the use as tinder.
 
Oh that's impressive :D
Is the seed casing filled with a kind of down ?

I wonder if any of our plant seed cases would burn like that ?

cheers,
M
 
So more like some of the tinder fungus ? :) Looks really good stuff :cool:

I've been googling and it seems that the plant likes full sun but will tolerate frost. It doesn't say it'll tolerate cold and wet and cloudy though :(

If you ever get across to a Moot Rui, stuff your pockets :D

cheers,
M
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE