Plant ID help needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
It's about 3-4ft tall, hairy stem no flower that I've noticed I have an embarressing feeling I should know it or I did once :confused::

Wolverhampton-20130615-00536_zps1f40e786.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'd say rosebay willowherb, aka fireweed (because it is often first to colonise areas that have been burned).

Marginally edible, with a strong peppery taste, but a bit tough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I keep being told that it makes good cordage, but I've never managed anything decent from it.
Old dried out stems are called fire crackle. The roughly broken tubes are great at drawing a fire.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
+1 to what the guys say, Rosebay Willowherb, with some nettles thrown in. Classic colonisers of disturbed ground.

Used to use it as arrows as kids if playing cowboys and Indians.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Not sure if its rosebay willowherb, the stem is a greeny colour and hairy not something I've ever associated with rosebay willowherb......although the leaf vien structure is reminiscent......

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm going to agree with Chiseller after checking my plants book. Rosebay willowherb has alternate leaves, and the plant in the pictures has opposite leaves, like greater willowherb.

I think it is greater willowherb, Epilobium hirsutum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE