Plans to store nuclear waste in Ennerdale.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Not neccesarily all atnospheric. A lot were I'm sure, but also at some point on the timeline they switched to underground detonations.

They reckon some 2000 tests were carried out, more than half were by the USA, yes a lot were underground tests, but I bet when the doors were opened the dust would have gone everywhere ;-)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They reckon some 2000 tests were carried out, more than half were by the USA, yes a lot were underground tests, but I bet when the doors were opened the dust would have gone everywhere ;-)

Maybe. I don't really know the protcols. I spent 5 years stationed in Las Vegas; not really that far from the test site in Tonapah

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had a nice walk up the valley and back yesterday with the mrs, I was expecting protest banners all over the place but only saw one on the A66 near Keswick.

The place was deserted, only two cars in the car park when we got there. Snow on the tops down to about 600m, but water logged bogs everywhere else if you stray off the main tracks too far.

Found a couple more secluded hammock spots for next time :) Hoping for some snow now as it's got good pulking potential

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hah! Treehuggers latest attempt to deny civilization:)

Just wait until the economy shrinks due to lack of energy and see their dole cheques disappear as tax revenues collapse!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
What could possibly be go wrong? I mean, there's this really huge nuclear dump in the Ukraine... it's called "Pripyat". Might be worth Googling how well they're containing the nuclear mess ;)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Will this storage facility be dangerous? I doubt it. The protocols over storage and checking are ridiculously tight. The gas-fired power plant at Sellafield is 'off site' because such plants generate so much radioactivity that if it were on site, the gas power plant would be deemed 'controlled radioactive waste'.

Will the storage facility be an eyesore? Probably not. It's underground accessed by tunnel from Sellafield.

HOWEVER. The construction phase sounds like it will be ruinous for the valley. It will last many years.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It will bring in jobs.

Unfortunatley we live in a world where one man is prepared to pay over the odds for so called green energy...meanwhile their neighbour dies of hypothermia because they cannot afford heating.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
True definate, identifiable links have not been found so we have to settle for the theories put forward by a few 'ologists explaining the cluster
illnesses, such as abnormal immune responses, high population turnovers & viruses...........I wonder if alien activity in these areas could be included in the possible causes...

I think it boils down to how statistics are presented. It is possible to present any given set of data in different ways to emphasise a point without mishandling the data or adjusting in any way. If one set out to prove clusters existed then one could use data to do that, if one set out to show the opposite the same data could be used but presented differently. The real problem is that we rely on experts, most of whom have an agenda, to provide the answers.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK

Just wait until the economy shrinks due to lack of energy and see their dole cheques disappear as tax revenues collapse!

If civilisation means moving further and firther away from our links with nature then maybe it is Andy, but it does confuse me a bit that you are a bushcrafter and also apparently opposed to any fight to preserve the oldd ways :) (although I can, albeit a bit grudgingly, see how nuclear power might work if only the waste issue could be properly addressed).

Economy shrink? Surely not? But that would mean a recession? Nah, not in the UK mate........

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
also apparently opposed to any fight to preserve the oldd ways :) snip..

Sorry Manacles how does wanting to find a solution to storage of nuclear waste equate to being opposed to the fight to preserve the old ways? Are you saying that old and new ways can't co-exist? Please say not. I appreciate your posts on here and would hate to see you dropping off from posting on one of the new ways (computers and internet forums surely class as new ways)!!!:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Andy BB

If civilisation means moving further and firther away from our links with nature then maybe it is Andy, but it does confuse me a bit that you are a bushcrafter and also apparently opposed to any fight to preserve the oldd ways :) (although I can, albeit a bit grudgingly, see how nuclear power might work if only the waste issue could be properly addressed).

Economy shrink? Surely not? But that would mean a recession? Nah, not in the UK mate........

Ah - so many false assumptions in such a short space! Is it civilised to want more than 10% of babies born survive to their 2nd birthday? Count me in - I'll take all the modern advantages of medicine, transport, food, communications, shelter, support for those who need it (and even some who don't!). (Actually, with my second replacement hip operation coming up in a month's time, I'm particularly fond of the medical bit - bone-on-bone grinding gets a bit of a pain after a while!)

If being a a bushcrafter means preserving the "old ways" over the new, guess I'm not a bushcrafter. Learning some of the skills that our ancestors had to make do with out of necessity is a different matter - I find it fascinating, and most of all its fun. Otherwise, why would I do it, with all the other calls on my time?.

But above all, one needs a sense of perspective. There's 60+million people in the UK - most of them in England. And - under the "old ways", it could probably only support 2-3 million of those. "Living the dream" of total self-sufficiency is just that - a dream. Sure, some may be fortunate enough to have sufficient funds to buy property and land that will allow them to be relatively self-sufficient for food and water. But you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd be the first to use the telephone to call in the emergency helicopter if they - or their family - fell ill.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Sorry Manacles how does wanting to find a solution to storage of nuclear waste equate to being opposed to the fight to preserve the old ways? Are you saying that old and new ways can't co-exist? Please say not. I appreciate your posts on here and would hate to see you dropping off from posting on one of the new ways (computers and internet forums surely class as new ways)!!!:)

Paul you are misquoting me. I was responding Andy's assertion that those with a view on preserving the location were "tree huggers" that are on the dole. The reference to the old ways refers tot hose that revere the beauty and tranquility of the countryside and have a view that it should remain that way. I believe they deserve better than being summed up as "treehuggers last attempt to deny civilisation".

For the record, and based on the knowledge gained on a recent environmental science degree course, we do not, as yet, have a good permanent solution to the subject of radioactive waste simply because its life exceeds the materials we currently us to store it. I am not saying we won't have that solution in the future, and if we do then nuclear power could well be a good solution to the growing power problems (with the caveat over the current reserves being fairly limited).

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Andy BB

Ah - so many false assumptions in such a short space! Is it civilised to want more than 10% of babies born survive to their 2nd birthday? Count me in - I'll take all the modern advantages of medicine, transport, food, communications, shelter, support for those who need it (and even some who don't!). (Actually, with my second replacement hip operation coming up in a month's time, I'm particularly fond of the medical bit - bone-on-bone grinding gets a bit of a pain after a while!)

If being a a bushcrafter means preserving the "old ways" over the new, guess I'm not a bushcrafter. Learning some of the skills that our ancestors had to make do with out of necessity is a different matter - I find it fascinating, and most of all its fun. Otherwise, why would I do it, with all the other calls on my time?.

But above all, one needs a sense of perspective. There's 60+million people in the UK - most of them in England. And - under the "old ways", it could probably only support 2-3 million of those. "Living the dream" of total self-sufficiency is just that - a dream. Sure, some may be fortunate enough to have sufficient funds to buy property and land that will allow them to be relatively self-sufficient for food and water. But you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd be the first to use the telephone to call in the emergency helicopter if they - or their family - fell ill.

Andy are you really going to accuse me of false assumptions when you described people with an interest in the environment as "treehuggers" and then qualify that with implying they are all on the dole? Tut tut :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE