Plans to store nuclear waste in Ennerdale.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
What's your source on that Andy?

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf75.html Although this is repeated on many other websites and related journals. And as with hydrocarbons, the potential resources depend on how much you want to pay to extract them. Many of the oilfields became uneconomic to exhaust, but as prices rise, it becomes more practical to do so. ditto coal mines, coal-oil conversion shale sand extraction etc etc etc. And lets not forget there are already commercial tests on leaf-eating microbes that excrete oil!

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
That much is true, but it's an argument that is far too easy for anti nuclear individuals to state- and is entirely irrelevant. How safe something is depends on there being a pathway to a sensitive receptor, and to arrive at that receptor in a form/concentration that can do harm.

These are fundamental principles that will be tested and significantly challenged with rigour through the planning process. If there is a demonstrable issue/or even a material element of doubt, the proposal would be refused.

Even if there is some element of residual risk, let us not forget that tens of thousands of individuals die every year through the direct effects of fossil fuel consumption. This figure will climb to hundreds of thousands and beyond over the next 20 or so years when food belts shift, pressures on finite food and fuel resources increase, and we enter the age of the resource refugee...

Theoretically, but you are placing an awful lot of faith in a consultation process that may be flwed, or even have an agenda. For example Hinkly Point - the decision on whether to go ahead was made yesterday, when I looked tihs morning it had not been released and yet, work has already started on clearing the site. That, to me, is not confidence inspiring.

The simple truth is that we all need to use less power. I'm on my laptop right now, within arms reach is my mobile phone, desk lamp, radio, CD palyer, they're all powered by sparks. Maybe if we all (and I include myself here) use a bit less tech and turn thigns off standby we might not need to discuss this issue.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wonder what poor AW would have made of it all, sitting up there at Innominate Tarn sucking on his pipe watching the dumpers come and go and the concrete monstrosity getting built.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
...actually, humans are moving back into Chernobyl, as radiation levels have dropped to the level of Cornwall!

Funnily enough I have a mate who went there on a coach trip - really - when he went to watch a football match between Ukraine and Scotland (obviously in the Ukraine). Have you ever been to Cornwall - family from there (just think Clampetts) and if they don't prove its unhealthy then there no proof to be found :lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How about the pro-nuclear offering their back gardens as nuclear waste dumps instead of praising it & turning a blind eye when the waste is buried in other folk's back yard.

No problem, I'd rather have that buried near me than any more million pound )$(%*$( windmills that don't work stuck on a hill near me. We all want to flick a switch and have light, push a button and come on here etc, the waste has to go somewhere; they picked the Dales so I won't be signing the petition as it would be hypocritical of me to do so.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What's a tanning bed ?.............when you wake up are you transformed into leather ? :D

LOL. For those who really don't know (and I'd be very surprised if there are many who don't) A tanning bed is a bed (usually but not always at a commercial facility) that you lie on while you are showered by ultraviolet radiation from lamps in order to get a tan. People mistakenly believe they are safer than actual sunlight. They aren't.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Funnily enough I have a mate who went there on a coach trip - really - when he went to watch a football match between Ukraine and Scotland (obviously in the Ukraine). Have you ever been to Cornwall - family from there (just think Clampetts) and if they don't prove its unhealthy then there no proof to be found :lmao:

I used to moor a cruising catamaran in Cornwall, just across the Tamar from Plymouth. And there were some really strange small villages and inhabitants there, to be sure. I kept expecting to hear a banjo and guitar duette......................

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The last time I was in cornwall they seemed to be local food fanatics; I guess they want to keep all that valuable radiation to themselves.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
No problem, I'd rather have that buried near me than any more million pound )$(%*$( windmills that don't work stuck on a hill near me. We all want to flick a switch and have light, push a button and come on here etc, the waste has to go somewhere; they picked the Dales so I won't be signing the petition as it would be hypocritical of me to do so.

I'll put my name down for a bit of that, doesn't worry me, there is a lot of "Nuclear" waste that isn't, it is just waste from a nuclear plant, my daughter is working for the company doing the de-commisioning so Icould probably get a bag full...:lmao:

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I think it ought to be stored in the biggest population centres, where most energy is used, because that way they'd make damned certain to do it right.

Otherwise it's, " out of sight, out of mind", and they get sloppy about it.

M

Mary, my Dad works in this sector and I can say they are anything but sloppy. The amount of care and safety precautions they take make Health and Safty people very happy. The only time you hear of most sites is when they get dual purposed and it get's blown out of proportion as "OMG NUCLEAR WASTE!!!" when it was the other part of the site that happens to process medical / industrial waste. Also anything that's been near a reactor is considered nuclear waste the desk's, office chairs, computers vending machines etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE