Planning to attend a bushcraft meet

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Doc said:
Kathmandu make excellent tarps in silnylon. They reckon that the smallest tarp that will keep you reliably dry is 2.5m x 1.5m. This is the one I have and it works fine as a ground basha. It weighs 300g (compared to 2kg for my tent).

I have used the tarp with a hammock but I would not trust it in wind and rain. Even the 2.7m aussie hootchi may be a bit marginal as a hammock tarp in bad weather. Some people have found the standard Hennesy fly to be a bit small too.

The Hex Fly is much bigger and, er, hexagonal, and I've not heard of anyone on the forum getting wet under one (though I'm happy to be corrected on this.)
Doc,

Given I'm too big, old, fat and lazy for hammocks, I always use a ground basha (easier to get into and hard to fall out of too). That tarp sounds very interesting to combine with my bivi bag - do you have a link to a source with pics?

Red

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
the first ever hammock i bought was the kathmandu one in that link:

HAMMOCK
Made from a sheet of nylon cloth, either 2oz or 4oz according to spec. Overall size, 2.7 x 1.4 mts. A 2.5 mt. webbing belt at either end secures it to trees, etc. Drawcords raise the edges for secure sleep... Can be used as a shelter also.
Weight; 1.3lbs. PRICE; £27.35

It didn't even last 1 night and i'm not particularly big :(

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Tent versus Tarpaulin

Tarpaulin has

- light weight,
- cheap

Tent has
- keeping out unwanted things:- human eyes!, insects - flying and ground, mammals - foxes and rats.
- comes with its own cordage in convienient lengths and poles - usually flexible and foldable these days
- 360 degree protection if the wind shifts or is gusty
- warm - no draughts
- more stable in wind

Why should I use a tarpaulin if a tent will do better?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
rich59,
Its horses for courses. There are times when a tarp will be better, and times when a tent will, and times when a hammock with beat both. Each is better at some things than others, that does not mean that one IS better overall.

The worst way to judge a tarp is to try to treat it like a tent. If you go camping with a bunch of people in tents, and you have a tarp or hammock, and they pick the camp sites, you will probably conclude that tents are the hands down best option. You reverse that and go as the only tent camper with a bunch of mates with hammocks and you won't feel so comfortable! :D

Tents don't work so well on 1:5 wooded slopes covered in moss, boulders and bilberries, but hammocks work fine.

In the summer, a tent can become like an oven by 7:30 or 8am, and it doesn't cool all that fast in the evening. Tarps have much better ventilation.

There are enough highly experienced outdoors men and women that have switched from tents to tarps for certain conditions that it is pretty clear that they do have some advantages. Whether those reasons are good enough for you, the way you camp, is another matter.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i go camping with friends fairly often in some local woodland. the amount of time we spend looking for a decent spot to set up is incredible.
actually that should read "the amount of time we spend looking for a spot for the guys in tents to set up is incredible"
i'm in a hammock, under a tarp. i just wander around with them untill they find a flatish bit of ground and set up my camp (generally before they've finished unpacking).

i had to revert to my tent for a recent meet, and i have to say it was not as good a way to live.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
rich59 said:
Why should I use a tarpaulin if a tent will do better?

Nobody is saying you have to use a tarp, some people at Archray used tents as I recall.

Of course when the Otters came to the loch edge hunting, I got to watch them from the comfort of my hammock and they did not.

One of the attractions of camping under a tarp is the greater connection it allows you with the environment.

Sometimes when I am travelling I sleep in my van. At living history events I sleep on a Viking age style bed with a feather mattress and every comfort the tenth century could provide. I have a modern tent too but when camping in a fine spot my preference is to use a tarp or no cover at all.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Thanks for those great insights on the place of a tarpaulin.

You should see my family when we used to go caravaning - selecting a pitch seemed to take at least an hour!!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The tent versus hammock+tarp versus bivvy bag+tarp has come up before, and as C Claycomb says it is horses for courses.

Gear shops are very much geared towards mountain environments. With no trees and horizontal rain, a tent is far preferable. Very occasionally you see a Hennessy in the outdoor shop but it's mostly tents.

I'm new to the canoeing game but already it strikes me that camping by the waters edge is often much more feasible with a hammock - in Scotland anyway.

If you walk distances consider the weight. A solo tent can be under 1.3 kg but sometimes double that. A hammock alone is often 600g, plus anything from 300g to over a kilogram for a tarp, plus a bit extra for mosi net in summer.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Wayland said:
So what's it going to be at Chedworth Richard? Tent or Tarp? ;)
Tent, for loitering within. I will observe what you other guys do this time.

I did buy a 2m x 3m tarp though to experiment with or just be a rain shelter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE