Planning LEJOG walk for summer 2009/10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
Hey everyone, this is my first post on this site in a good few years! Cannot remember my old user name / password so had to create a new account.

I'm planning on completing the Lands End to John O'Groats walk either summer 2009 or summer 2010 whilst on my break from university. I expect it to take about 12 - 14 weeks and I plan to wild camp every night I can. I will probably be completing the walk on my own, unless I can find someone crazy enough to come with me! I'm working on my fitness and sorting out my finances for whilst i'm away.

I have a fair bit of experience wild camping and a reasonable level of experience in hill walking. I was a member of the army cadet force for five and a half years, so I have a great deal of love and respect for the countryside. Although I am a little rusty, I used to be very proficient in all aspects of map and compass.

I have a limited skill set in bushcraft, so was wondering what are the main skills should I strive to develop over my next couple of expeditions / camping trips in preperation for the LEJOG expedition?

* Firelighting
* Snares / trapping
* Plant recognition
* Polish up my map and compass skills

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
If you're walking every day then snares/trapping will not be very relevant - though you could try fishing for your supper if you start off using the SW coastal path. Plant recognition would be useful as you may get the chance to forage as you go, but remember, it is difficult to hunt/trap/forage on a journey - most primitive people's on a journey would bring stocks of food that they would supplement with what they found along the way.

Map and compass? Keep the sea on your left until you reach Bristol then get the map out...

Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE