Plaited Birch bark basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I finally got around to making one of these. Its been on the to do list for a while now.
I peeled this bark a while back now to save for a project as it was clean and thick. But there were a few branch holes and cracks so I thought I would plait for a change.

More in the blog
http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/plaited-birch-bark-basket.html

S5001333_zps166c5c0b.jpg

Give it a go sometime. I'm going to try different materials that are easier to gather for short life baskets later in the year such as Cat-tail, and probably coiled grass baskets.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :D wonderful rich colour too :cool:

I love these wee baskets, they're lightweight, cost nothing but time and patience, last for years, and they just work, even with the finer homegrown barks that grow in the UK :)

Have you tried doing the checkwork on the diagonal too, Addo ?

cheers,
Toddy

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks guys, glad you like it.
Ive tried the diagonal one Toddy in cardboard and found it a bit tricky. I'm getting a new book soon that I think shows a clearer way of making it, then I'll try again with the Birch as its a great pattern and its bugging me that I've not cracked it yet.

Its not waterproof, just a close weave for gathering/storing food.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Addo, thats some lovely work there mate, i must have a go with this method. I have only ever practiced this method using stiff cardboard strips, i think i will have to go check my birch bark stash and see if there are any suitable pieces to make one.

Cheers Stuart.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi Addo, thats some lovely work there mate, i must have a go with this method. I have only ever practiced this method using stiff cardboard strips, i think i will have to go check my birch bark stash and see if there are any suitable pieces to make one.

Cheers Stuart.

Hi Stuart, cheers. The birch doesn't slip about as much compared to the card so its a bit easyer that way, but it all curls up no mater how well its flattened so the loose ends of warp get in a bit of a tangle now and then, but once the first two rows of weft are in its much easier.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find that if I dampen it slightly and leave it sitting somewhere warm, then it bends rather than curls. It also works to just wipe a damp cloth over the outside layer and then press it out between something like two telephone books or big cutting boards. That'll flatten it enough to at least make cutting even strips a fair bit simpler.

atb,
M.....who knows she has a big bag of the stuff in one of the sheds, and can feel a playtime coming on :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE