Places to camp in Sussex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

I know it's a while off yet, but an opportunity has arisen for me to have some time to camp over the May Day bank holiday weekend.

It's not often I get the chance to go off camping without my Explorer Scouts in tow, so I plan to go out and simply chill in some woods somewhere, practice various things, and slicken up my campsite setup etc.

The first place that always springs to mind is Broadstone Warren, an ideal site, but I camp there a lot, and I'm always open to new locations.

I looked at dernwood farm, and it was looking good. They allow wild camping, have woodland, etc. I was about to plump for it as a new locations, when I read this. Purchase of wood is obligatory as there is no foraging allowed, we recommend that ONE CRATE PER NIGHT needed. If you don't buy a crate per night now you will be asked to pay for more on your arrival.

A deal breaker for me, if I'm not allowed to collect my own firewood! I especially don't want to pay £5 per crate of wood.

It lead me to wondering where else you Sussex/southern dwellers camp? I'm looking for somewhwre to establish myself for 2-3 days, not somewhere that I have to keep packing up and going stealth because it's not quite a legit place to camp.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
TBH, I've generally only camped at Broadstone and on private land where I have permission (I've got a friend with a small wood).

I suppose in this litigious age, letting someone you don't know camp on your land is a legal minefield, if they injure themselves or refuse to go etc.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Forgewood in East Sussex near Tunbridge Wells allow fires and have a website. They will be busy though, it can get quite noisy if you are near the wrong people, but they are clamping down on this issue.

Luke
Greencraft

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Try Blackberry wood, can get busy though, personally i use the meets at Broadstone and my private woodland

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Thanks peeps. I'll take a look at the new suggestions.

I intend to make a meet at some point, but so far, never been able to make the dates. Maybe I'll consider making the weekend I go a mini meet. I'd love to actually meet you lot.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think we are aiming to hold the meets on the last full weekend of each month, makes planning a whole a lot easier, especially for those that have to book time off work well in advance and we can book a site months in advance, even if you cant make a full meet, why not pop down on the Saturday or Sunday, even if it's just for a couple of hours, the kettle is alwasy on.

Apr 4, 2012
Brighton
i kknow this is an oldish thread but i use parkwood scout camp in poynings. It has plenty of space and alot of wooded areas asell as a large green for tents ect. the guys there are really helpful. u can have fires ect. Its where i go with my sqiuadron for survival training. They have showers aswell if you really want one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE