Places for wild camping in the North East of england

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 16, 2021
Newcastle
Hi,
I have a small disused quarry, that has been reclaimed by nature, which is mainly a wooded area. However there is limited flat ground, but in my view, would be ideal for bushcraft. I have had grand ideas for a number of years of this becoming a limited bush craft area, but before I go the difficult and costly route of planning.( might just keep it to a weekend -once a month thing under 28day rule).. Any way, some people can use this for a couple of days if needed, to help to see if this would be viable, and what damage/ noise etc I would expect. don't want to upset the folks next door :), so I would say no more than 6 people at any one time. Its about 8 acres of wooded area, but only about 8 flat spots, if you wanted a small tent.. But plenty of dips, and hollow's to lay your bivvie bag, build a lean to shelter etc.
Some picture are already on here in another thread.. I have been round it in a 4x4, so tyre tracks are there now. its Near a Town called Alston, in Cumbria, which is only 45 mile from Newcastle.
The nights are pitch black, and an abundance of wild life, including Red squirrel. The views can be spectacular( once u climb out of the quarry bowl), Great if you like photography and bush craft, but its bleak, can be very wet, very cold, deep snow in winter, and no water source. If you want to help me out by staying there one or two nights PM me.. parking for 2 cars also possible... Its just a thought :p

Other thread with pics( old ones) http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115646

Hi, I know its a little while later but I'm really interested in this for this weekend please :(

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello @OutdoorsWoman and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to have to tell you that Audrey has not visited the forum since March 2017, so is unlikely to reply.

Hotchy is a slightly more recent bet, but he hasn't visited the forum since August 2020. We can hope that he gets alerts by email, but most people turn that off, I think.

If you click on someone's username next to their post, or hover a mouse pointer over the name, you should get info on when that person joined, and when they were last seen, which means visited the site, even if they didn't post.

So probably best not to hold out waiting for a reply before making plans. :(

Chris

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021
Newcastle
Hello @OutdoorsWoman and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to have to tell you that Audrey has not visited the forum since March 2017, so is unlikely to reply.

Hotchy is a slightly more recent bet, but he hasn't visited the forum since August 2020. We can hope that he gets alerts by email, but most people turn that off, I think.

If you click on someone's username next to their post, or hover a mouse pointer over the name, you should get info on when that person joined, and when they were last seen, which means visited the site, even if they didn't post.

So probably best not to hold out waiting for a reply before making plans. :(

Chris
Thank you so much Chris. You've been really helpful.

Fingers crossed ey? :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE