Places for wild camping in the North East of england

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 5, 2015
UK
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in bushcraft but I am having some difficultly finding spots to go and practise skills and camp. I have had a few trips around the lake district and been successful wild camping there and also ventured up into Scotland a few times but I am trying to find some good spots a bit closer to home in the Northumberland area. I have been up to kielder forest and also around simonside but the problem I have found with these is the lack of finding a way into the forest or a good enough clearing to put camp up due to felled logs and overgrowth everywhere. I am not asking for specific spots but perhaps some advise in some general areas anyone could recommend exploring?

Thanks for your help

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Slaley woods
There are also a few spots along the Tyne up from Hexham
Your problem this side of the border will always be the gamekeepers. Ran into a few of them myself.
If you find a good spot where you can actually make a fire, please let me know?

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
With regard to making a fire, we used a http://www.popupgrill.com on our last camping trip. It's very light and collapses almost flat into its own bag, so if you are not carrying it too far it is manageable. It meant there was absolutely no trace where we had a fire and we felt confident no one could object as it was well contained. It may not fulfil what you are looking for in terms of practicing bushcraft but just a thought.14671131_114044505736518_4287243477258849135_n.jpg

hotchy

Jul 26, 2012
Aldeston in Mora
Hi,
I have a small disused quarry, that has been reclaimed by nature, which is mainly a wooded area. However there is limited flat ground, but in my view, would be ideal for bushcraft. I have had grand ideas for a number of years of this becoming a limited bush craft area, but before I go the difficult and costly route of planning.( might just keep it to a weekend -once a month thing under 28day rule).. Any way, some people can use this for a couple of days if needed, to help to see if this would be viable, and what damage/ noise etc I would expect. don't want to upset the folks next door :), so I would say no more than 6 people at any one time. Its about 8 acres of wooded area, but only about 8 flat spots, if you wanted a small tent.. But plenty of dips, and hollow's to lay your bivvie bag, build a lean to shelter etc.
Some picture are already on here in another thread.. I have been round it in a 4x4, so tyre tracks are there now. its Near a Town called Alston, in Cumbria, which is only 45 mile from Newcastle.
The nights are pitch black, and an abundance of wild life, including Red squirrel. The views can be spectacular( once u climb out of the quarry bowl), Great if you like photography and bush craft, but its bleak, can be very wet, very cold, deep snow in winter, and no water source. If you want to help me out by staying there one or two nights PM me.. parking for 2 cars also possible... Its just a thought :p

Other thread with pics( old ones) http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115646

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hi,
I have a small disused quarry, that has been reclaimed by nature, which is mainly a wooded area. However there is limited flat ground, but in my view, would be ideal for bushcraft. I have had grand ideas for a number of years of this becoming a limited bush craft area, but before I go the difficult and costly route of planning.( might just keep it to a weekend -once a month thing under 28day rule).. Any way, some people can use this for a couple of days if needed, to help to see if this would be viable, and what damage/ noise etc I would expect. don't want to upset the folks next door :), so I would say no more than 6 people at any one time. Its about 8 acres of wooded area, but only about 8 flat spots, if you wanted a small tent.. But plenty of dips, and hollow's to lay your bivvie bag, build a lean to shelter etc.
Some picture are already on here in another thread.. I have been round it in a 4x4, so tyre tracks are there now. its Near a Town called Alston, in Cumbria, which is only 45 mile from Newcastle.
The nights are pitch black, and an abundance of wild life, including Red squirrel. The views can be spectacular( once u climb out of the quarry bowl), Great if you like photography and bush craft, but its bleak, can be very wet, very cold, deep snow in winter, and no water source. If you want to help me out by staying there one or two nights PM me.. parking for 2 cars also possible... Its just a thought :p

Other thread with pics( old ones) http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115646
Fair play! Very generous and helpful .

If there were some sort of kudos point system on this forum , you'd get a few from me just for that post!
👍👍

Feb 16, 2017
consett
Hi I am New member,,, wild camping is something I always wanted to do but never had chance ''' your place looks perfect for somewhere to try out for first time in near future when I get all my kit ,, plus help would be gratefully excepted ,,, could you let me know when it is possible to visit in next month or two ,,, thanks Andyrev

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Hi I have a couple of acres of woodland in co.durham,it sits between farm land and my land so it's quite and loads of wildlife.
Sound good, lovely area, I used to work for a company up that way years ago, ought to Brockwell Woods next week for a couple of nights, another great spot.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting Audrey. Any chance of having a look? When it suits you. I'm in Northumberland not not too far from you? :)

No prob ,the post code is (ask by pm) ,give me a call on (ask by pm) . It will be interesting to have someone's input

Moderator Note:
Before getting your hopes up or posting interest to this thread, check when the person offering access was last here. Hover mouse over the poster's Username, or left click on the Username to see "Last Seen" date, which is last time the person visited the site. As of today, 16 March 2021, Audrey has not been on this site since 9th March 2017. She joined 1st March, so wasn't here long. This strongly suggests that you shouldn't pin too much hope on a reply here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
No prob ,t will be interesting to have someone's input
Audrey , very noble of you 👍 and it's nice to see a gesture like that in this day and age , but i would pm your telephone number , as it's not a great idea to put your number on a public forum ...

You might end up with a small army of keen " campers" ringing you up every weekend...😁

Just my 2p ...

But nice gesture, top banana !👍👍

Last edited:

John bowers

Feb 3, 2020
Ne6 4aw
Hi I have a couple of acres of woodland in co.durham,it sits between farm land and my land so it's quite and loads of wildlife. Harperley house Dh99ty
Hi I am school teacher that delivers forest school to our students. Do you still have some woodland that you would be willing to let us use.
Thanks John

Mr Robert Crosby

Mar 4, 2020
HU5 3uf
Hi,

Reactions: Scott forsyth

Damian

Feb 11, 2021
Tyne and wear
Hi,

Hi I've just joined this site and a newby to camping and bushcraft. Me and my son are very interested in it and would love to try your place out. The only place we have camped is brockwell woods. Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE