Pity it rained

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Whilst out walking to Waitrose to get some grub for my bimble with Kepis tomorrow I passed a skip, now the skip was quite full with what looked like some older persons stuff in it, the contents were covered with FUR coats of a few shades of brown and a black one, all were sodden as it had been raining.
What a wast, It's a throw away world we live in for some people.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I saw That Hugo, just by the Mad Hatter cafe, looked like mink and definitely a fox. A real waste, I know fur is now a no no, emmmh! But could have made some good fur trim for a parka hood, liner for mitts, or a liners for tent boots. My boy asked if it was possible to salvage and get cleaned, as he wanted to make sleeping bags for the homeless dogs.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
That's the one, quite a few in there if you look, bet they smell.
If they were dry they would be at Hugo towers along with a lot of other projects that need doing.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Me too and note we are Scottish and Welsh That will explain the difference
I saw a nice squirrel skin mat made out of an old coat at the weekend
I would enjoy lying on a mink mat under my tarp

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a couple of camp chair covers made from old fur coats ... cozy!
A friend renovated a pram for her babies with an old fur coat - pram and coat both came from skips....

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like to womble John but sometimes you can get cluttered up with stuff.
Fur camp chair sounds nice.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'm sure they would dry out, back in the 20th century rich women wore them in the rain and they were fine. Apart from the political incorrectness, the animals died some time ago so it is just a wasted resource if you leave them for landfill.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well chaps I was out again today and saw a group of people around the said skip, I walked up to them and blooming eck, one woman had fifteen fur coats in her arms some guy had ten others just a few and there was still plenty in the skip, so Hugo (that's me by the way) picks up a black bin bag and opens it, a guy next to me does the same, he walks away with two fur coats that looked good and dry, I walk away with two, what look like new fur jackets that are dry as well, just a bit of a damp odour, here is a picture of them. They need a brush to get them to look tidy, one is a size ten the other a 14/ 38 on the tab. not sure what to do with them as I have far too many projects in hand.
Furjackets001.jpg

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
In Rotterdam it was considered normal at one time to have a walk round residential areas the evening before the bin men came to see if anyone had put anything worthwhile out.

Friends of mine furnished a flat almost completely from these "Cultuur Avond", (Culture Evening), walks, and I took things home to my little cottage in Shropshire when I lived there.

It is recycling without straining the recyclers.

Would make a nice lining for a body warmer, and, being on the inside is less likely to offend the anti-fur lobby. Bet you wouldn't need sleeves, you would be so warm.

Regards,

Alan

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cultuur Avond! interesting. There were probably 20 or so fur hats in the skip as well, none to my liking, all small, I think whoever dumped them was at one time in the fur trade as there were far too many for one person to have.
As to making one into a lining on a jacket/ waistcoat that sounds interesting as I have been meaning to make a waistcoat out of some canvas I have, fur side in, how decadent.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Update on the fur jackets.
After tripping up a few times in my crowded garage workshop I decided things have to go.
So I took the jackets and another resent find, a leather coat to my local boot market to offer to a guy I know, I was stopped and asked by someone are they for sale so I said yes and came away with £21, beggars cant be choosers.
The clear out will continue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE