Pinsley Wood for 1 Night

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Once again i failed to do the 5 piece item kit challenge set out by Lannyman8, mainly chickened out after looking at the weather, so decided to take the tarp and hammock to remain dry.

Myself and BushcraftBob (Jamie) decided to do a nights camping in Pinsley Woods (Long Hanbrough, Oxfordshire) after a bit of looking on the net I found out that Pinsley woods first named as Pins Wood in 1237 and was a part of the of a woodland catalogued in the Domesday Book of 1086.

Pinsley Wood
PinsleyWoods.jpg

Both Jamie and I have walked in the woods several times and Jamie has camped in them, but it still amazing to find new areas you haven’t come across before. Also the amount of natural shelters that have been built over time and left standing (sadly usually with beer cans and rubbish left all over the place)

We picked a spot and setup camp

IMAG1038.jpg

IMAG1054.jpg

IMAG1035.jpg

Jamie’s Setup

IMAG1068.jpg

After setting up we realised we were only about 30ft away from a path, but thought no one would walk past, we couldn’t have been more wrong, seemed like every dog and his walker decided to come down the path near us, but most people passed without knowing we were there.

We had a bit of a walk around to collect some firewood, which this wood has tones off
Jamie took to it with his Laplander while i stood and watched on this occasion :)
IMAG1042.jpg

IMAG1043.jpg

However reward Jamie for his hard work with some cowboy coffee
IMAG1045.jpg

IMAG1046.jpg

After settling in my brother called to see where we were and popped over with his misses and my niece Ellie, so she tried out the hammock for the first time and loved it.
IMAG1050.jpg

After the visitors left Jamie showed me how to make some cordage from nettles which i got on with while Jamie had some lunch, the only picture i remember to take was while drying the fibres out (and Jamie burning his mouth eating some pasta)
IMAG1052.jpg

Some shots around the woods
Lots of king alfred cakes all over the woods
IMAG1057.jpg

As well as loads of birch polypore
IMAG1039.jpg

IMAG1041.jpg

Looking for tarp, Jamie’s hootchie stood out more the DD tarp
IMAG1049.jpg

IMAG1048.jpg

Night feel and we got the fire on the go
IMAG1059.jpg

and then dinner, rice with a mushroom cuppa soup thrown in and some peppers, mushroom and smoked sausage.
IMAG1065.jpg

IMAG1061.jpg

Sat back and enjoyed a good chat with Jamie, while Ratuki(one of my sons teddy) looked after my beer
IMAG1053.jpg

Ratuki checking chilling by a tree.
IMAG1073.jpg

I woke up around 7am, but as Jamie was still fast asleep in his hammock i thought i would lay back and wait for him to get up, 2hrs 30mins later i woke up again to Jamie getting a brew on. Dam hammocks are far too comfortable.

We packed up in the rain, and headed back to the car, only to find we were blocked in for 1hr 30 mins while church was on.
IMAG1074.jpg

Dam 1hr 30mins i could have stayed in my hammock :)

Next time it’s the 5 piece kit challenge...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE