Pine/Conifer cones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Was waiting about out side the office last night feeling a bit peckish and saw a female pine cone opened from the heat of the sun laying on the floor - my curiosity piqued and remembering somewherein my past that I read that pine cone seeds are edible I proceeded to break it open and scoff down a couple of the seeds.

No ill effects 18 hours later - so I am guessing that its safe to eat pine cone seeds any one confirm either way - if so any recipes for pine cone seeds?

Cheers
FC

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The supermarket pine nuts are from the Stone Pine and it doesn't grow or ripen fruits here.

Ordinary pines are edible but there's usually so little bite at the end of the wing that it's not really worth it.

Interesting to hear what kind of pine you managed to get a decent munchie from ?

cheers,
Toddy

well glad to know I was remembering right after all :)

It was just an ordinary pine cone, average everyday type, not sure on the speciies! the nuts were very small as Toddy said so I cant imagine getting enough to survive on, but better than nothing :)

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Pinyon pine (Pinus edulis) nuts were an extremely important food source for humans here in the Southwest. I put pine nuts in my pancakes, veg, pasta, and rice dishes, green chile and pinyon nut meatloaf is a favorite.

http://www.pinonnuts.com/Recipes.htm
No connection with this site, just good recipes I had to share.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE