In praise of the humble pine cone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A few weekends ago I had a bit of difficulty lighting my bushbuddy stove in some damp conditions, and so I decided I ought to get some practice in for cold weather firestarting. I've had this problem before with the bushbuddy, and have decided that my stove is definitely female: temperamental, unpredictable, and definitely high maintenance, but she's gorgeous and if I treat her right she cooks my meals and keeps me warm, so I like her a lot ;)

Anyway, I took her out into the garden for some practice, and tried a new starting set-up: a length of coir yarn coiled into the base of the stove, with more cotton wool than I usually use as my tinder, with vaseline for flame extending, and a few shavings of fatwood on top. I realised that I've been unneccesarily hoarding my tinder and kindling, and using too little of it. My Bushbuddy has been feeling the neglect, and letting me know by going cold on me.

Anyway, with the aid of an exotac nanostriker there was soon a spark between us, and she was rapidly aflame (I'll stop now :rolleyes:). I threw in a couple of scots pine cones, and that established the fire nicely. Worked a charm.

I then tried to see if wooden cat-litter pellets were any good as fuel. Conclusion: utterly useless. So much for that idea.

Re-establishing the fire with a few bits of birch wood was easy, and then I chucked on a single large pine cone, only half open, just to see what would happen. The cone was from a Marine Pine, I think, and only just fits in the Bushbuddy. the result was amazing. A steady burn, for at least 20 minutes, which is waaay more than I've ever had for a single piece of fuel in this stove. And this in windy conditions, without a windshield. I am so impressed. For that sort of performance I will certainly be find room for a pine cone or two in my pack from now on, and gathering a few more for drying in the airing cupboard.

I know people on here are aware that pine cones are a decent fuel, but just thought I'd share that for a small single-person woodburner, a large pine cone is the best fuel that I have encountered so far.
:camping:

P.s. Can't wait to try out a stone pine cone now, as they are even bigger! The only slight snag is that they are bigger than the stove...

:)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Im surprised you found cat litter useless. did you add them to the stove after using cones as this will generally extinguish the fire and lead to lots of smoking. when using litter its best to fill the stove and splash a little meths on. the pellets then burn top down and a fill will burn for 90 mins

nice post :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ahh, that's how to do it. Thank you.

I sprinkled a few on dry, not enough to stifle anything, but just to see how they burned. They didn't particularly, and I was unimpressed, but I'll try it your way.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Cat litter - if used a la insructions above- is brilliant fuel for most woodburners. My Wild-stove (natural gasifier ie no fan) burnt for an hour on this stuff on a single load, and kept going pretty much over a whole weekend meet on the rest of the bag! However ashes did need shaking out after every burn, as otherwise it would clog itself up, reducing airflow and therefore combustion.

ps - cat-litter must be the wood-pellet type!

Last edited:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
to those that suggest it, have you actually tried cat litter in the bushbuddy, or are you talking about other wood burning stoves?

If you have, what cat litter specifically did you use? interested to hear more...

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ive seen it in a bushbuddy, bush buddy clone, wild woodgas and a biolite and works well in all. Bushbuddy was probably the best in terms of burn time and useful heat. Biolite is like a forge with the fan on full but will burn through a fill in 10 mins. Cat litter is easier to light and mainly soft wood. Biofuel wood pellets are generally hard wood and burn hotter.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Cool, thanks. I always thought it was made from silica, sand, or something similar. I'll keep an eye out for stuff thats relevant. Guessing its light as well so easy enough to be carry a couple of refills full in my pack

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Wood pellets won't work in an Emberlit though (solid floor stops updraft needed, and they'll fall out of the big hole in side that otherwise makes the Emberlit so good for burning long pieces of sticks). Pine-cones on the other hand are champion!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cool, thanks. I always thought it was made from silica, sand, or something similar. I'll keep an eye out for stuff thats relevant. Guessing its light as well so easy enough to be carry a couple of refills full in my pack

some cat litter is made of bentonite clay so be careful to make sure you get biomass ones. I usually carry a couple of ziplock bags that give two fills of my biolite with me on day walks and a little 10ml squirt bottle of meths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE