pimp my flint & steel

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
so iv been using one of john fenna's dragons breath's for a few years now, I think using files as strikers work great.
so I wanted to have a go at making my own striker but i also wanted to ad a little style to the kit. I cut a fresh peice of file and epoxied part of a deer bone on to it, so as you can see it ads class to my set up.

just thought I would share that 

5284eb9e-bc54-0c7b.jpg

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
thats very nice mate. Like you say the bone makes it look a bit nicer. Do you mind if I ask what the best way of cutting up the file?

i cut a i line across it with my dremmel and then I smacked it with a hammer, which gave me a nice clean cut, thanx for comment, 

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There are a few ways to break a file into pieces. Using an angle grinder is probably the most popular. However you can simply wrap it in an old rag, clamp it in a vice and smack it with a big hammer - the rag stops it shattering all over the workshop!

If you have access to a grinder, (angle or bench) you can grind the teeth off the sides so that it goes a little easier on the flint!, But then if you have access to a grinder, you can grind the file part way through and smack it or all the way through but try not to let it get too hot or you'll spoil the temper and stop it making sparks at all.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers chaps. im having a bash at one today. Sods law i cant find the little spanner for my dremmel clone to change the tool lol. chucked one in my cordless and it worked after a fashion. left a burr on on end though when i clobbered it. Still it looks reasonable. ive ground the edge down on the course side of my diamond block as it never gets used on my knives. Am now trying to slot some buffalo horn to drop it into. will post back when complete. Labour intensive but am happy as a pig in mud down the garage on my own :)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well i had an epic fail lol. Steel does not seem to throw many sparks at all. File was labeled T8 steel. No idea if that is something that should work or not. dont think i softened the edge as i ground it off slowly on a diamond block. Flint is nice and sharp. Good job im not living back in the day or id be cold and hungry :(

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Well i had an epic fail lol. Steel does not seem to throw many sparks at all. File was labeled T8 steel. No idea if that is something that should work or not. dont think i softened the edge as i ground it off slowly on a diamond block. Flint is nice and sharp. Good job im not living back in the day or id be cold and hungry :(

at least you tried mate, get yourself down a car boot sale and buy some files :)

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Having spent a few hours out in the woods with monkey boy this weekend and played with this first hand I can whole heartily recommend.
Plus it was my first experience with all natural flint and steel fire lighting which was great with such a nice looking, and feeling, bit of kit!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well i had an epic fail lol. Steel does not seem to throw many sparks at all. File was labeled T8 steel. No idea if that is something that should work or not. dont think i softened the edge as i ground it off slowly on a diamond block. Flint is nice and sharp. Good job im not living back in the day or gid be cold and hungry :(

That might have been a modern file that has been specially case hardened - a metal treatment that hardens only the surface of the steel - once you grind the teeth off it, you are back to mild steel which is more resilient, but no good for striking sparks.

A trip to your recycling yard should yield a few for 50 pence each which make great donor items for fire-strikers or knives!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE