Pimp my Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I've only made a few mods to my rucky..........for comfort though rather than praticalities.

Added a chest strap, & beefed up the waist belt .

DSCF7267-1.jpg

with molle type webbing to hold a water bottle on each side.like thus .....naff I know :eek:

DSCF7268-1.jpg

And since the bottom of a rucky takes the most punishment, I've added 2 straps that hold a piece of tarp( which may come in handy:)) protecting the base....I've made them long enough to be able to hold something as large as a roll mat..............just in case.:rolleyes:

2012_0602tracks0075-1.jpg

I'm not a pouch person but I'm begining to realise that having certain items all in the same place is not such a bad idea...:D

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I need to move if that's what you find in your skips. :lmao:

I was driving round at work when I saw a couple filling a skip out side their house, the bloke was throwing a green rucksack into the skip and caught my attention. They had just bought the house and were clearing the garage of all the old junk left in it. They didn't mind me having a bit of a rummage. These were on top, I dread to think what i might have missed buried at the bottom ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The only rucksack pimping done so far is two full cycle machine washes, the final one in Nikwax tecwash. It hasn't turned out too bad.
View attachment 10259

<Snip

Looks like the elastic might need beefing up like mine did.

Easy enough to thread a bit of 2mm bungee under the old elastic.

I've only made a few mods to my rucky..........for comfort though rather than praticalities.

Added a chest strap, & beefed up the waist belt .

DSCF7267-1.jpg

I have mixed feelings about chest straps, I know they reduce pull on the shoulders but I find they affect my breathing too.

with molle type webbing to hold a water bottle on each side.like thus .....naff I know :eek:

DSCF7268-1.jpg

Nothing is naff if it works for you.

According to some people's "standards" most of my kit is naff but I don't care, it works for me.

And since the bottom of a rucky takes the most punishment, I've added 2 straps that hold a piece of tarp( which may come in handy:)) protecting the base....I've made them long enough to be able to hold something as large as a roll mat..............just in case.:rolleyes:

2012_0602tracks0075-1.jpg

I'm not a pouch person but I'm beginning to realise that having certain items all in the same place is not such a bad idea...:D

I like that idea for the base, two birds with one stone as it were.

I might have to think about that.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....I have mixed feelings about chest straps, I know they reduce pull on the shoulders but I find they affect my breathing too......

i'm with you on that one wayland, it really is swings and roundabouts with chest straps, they make the bag more stable - but harder to drop quickly too. i find that with a rucksack, even quite a light one, my left arm "goes to sleep" after about half an hour unless i use a chest strap (yes, just the left one, it makes no sense to me either) so they're kind of a necessary evil for me. it is the one thing on my rucksacks that gets altered quite frequently, constantly trying to find the best possible compromise

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
i'm with you on that one wayland, it really is swings and roundabouts with chest straps, they make the bag more stable - but harder to drop quickly too. i find that with a rucksack, even quite a light one, my left arm "goes to sleep" after about half an hour unless i use a chest strap (yes, just the left one, it makes no sense to me either) so they're kind of a necessary evil for me. it is the one thing on my rucksacks that gets altered quite frequently, constantly trying to find the best possible compromise

Simple, your right arm is more developed:rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
One good thing about chest straps is that you don't have to do them up......I tend to use them only when I'm not going to be taking the pack off every 5 minutes......I like them though.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Looks like the elastic might need beefing up like mine did.

Easy enough to thread a bit of 2mm bungee under the old elastic.

Yep Tundra repairs (ex-berghaus staff) charge £25 to replace the lid elastic, so a bit of 2mm bungee sounds ideal. It's too short in the back (size 2) so it's off to my nephew for cadet use, so i'm not spending any money on it.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just acouple of alternative attachments to my salient.. Still experimenting
02610da4-d5a2-45c4.jpg

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE