pillows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
The wife and i like to have a night out in the woods from time to time. However we have yet to find something comfortable to rest our heads on. So what do others do for packable pillows and where do you get them.

Thanks

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Anything from bundled clothes, to a surplus MOD stretcher pillow, to a Klymit Cush ... I've even used my boots ;)

All the above tend to involve a shemagh or scarf of some sort another.

The cush has become a firm favourite but due to the design and the material used it really does need to be wrapped in something ~ you fold it to the required size but there's nothing to prevent it from unrolling.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I'm experimenting with two thermarest pillows - one is a squashable pillow made from their off cuts of foam, it's sort of lumpy but compresses well and if you like a deep pillow it will work for you - especially good if you don't like feathers for any reason. The other isn't exactly a pillow but a fleece lined dry bag! Use it full of clothes during the day with the slickly lining outwards, or at night turn it inside out and stuff with fewer or more clothes depending on your preference. I used to use a t shirt converted into a cotton tube stuffed with the insides of an old cushion - but decided there had to be something better. At present I'm erring on the side of the fleecy stuff sac. I got both of them from ultralightbackpacking. I've recently bought a yeti down blanket which folds down into a pillow size so this may be my supplementary if it's not too cold!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
The norm for me is the sleeping bag drybag (empty) filled with my warm layer (down jkt or fleece). This can also be substituted with day clothes rolled up. No room whatsoever; just what I have existing. If I am car camping or weight isn't an issue then an old pillow from home with a 'custom' water repellent cover made from an old stuff sack!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I use the classic ikea inflatable neck pillow and find it ideal for hammocking or tenting (or sleeping on trains/aircraft). Takes up hardly any space, it's got a nice soft outer cover which can be taken off and washed, nice little mesh bag and it's easily adjustable too (less air for a more forgiving headrest and more for greater support).

It can be used as a normal pillow just by flipping it upside down so the opening is pointing up rather than down.

I've sewn a little tab in the top so it can be attached to the end of my hammock without going too far adrift but tend just to wedge it in the hood of my mummy bag.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I use one of these

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=280679505

if you inflate it fully it is like resting your head on a brick but 2/3 inflated and it is just that right amount of give an support and it sits perfectly in the hood of the sleeping bag, packs down smaller than a tennis ball when not in use and weighs next to nothing, my current one has been in use for nearly 2 years now

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I sometimes use the bag from a 3l bag-in-box wine. Light, inflatable and rather fun to prepare.

Most of the time I use clothes, though.

Last edited:

Guyjames

May 29, 2014
Winchester
I carry an empty pillow case, then similar to the stuff sack idea, I just stuff it with my warm kit - particularly good if you have a softie or other down jacket to hand.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
The norm for me is the sleeping bag drybag (empty) filled with my warm layer (down jkt or fleece). This can also be substituted with day clothes rolled up. No room whatsoever; just what I have existing. If I am car camping or weight isn't an issue then an old pillow from home with a 'custom' water repellent cover made from an old stuff sack!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Exactly the same. Just wanted to add, whatever book I'm reading and my notebook(s) go either under my pillow (if I don't expect rain) or in it (if I do). Again, it's using something that I'm already carrying so it doesn't add any weight, and books are brilliant for adding a bit of height to a pillow.

Cheers,

Stuart.

chmusar

Apr 5, 2015
uk
I have a sea to summit aero pillow, and I love it not to bouncy when inflated and a fleecy lining on one side, quick to inflate and deflate

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Inflatable neck pillows are always handy out of the pound shop. But the filled bladder from a camelbak wrapped in an old norgie vest is surprisingly comfortable!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I've been using a Vango self inflating pillow recently. Seems to do the job! I did use the stuff sack filled with clothes method but quite often when I was hiking I had everything I was not wearing hanging to dry after being washed so had nothing but the empty rucksack for a pillow which wasn't very comfy.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'm currently using an old inflatable pillow bought while on holiday abroad years ago for around 50p anything soft would work really

Tonyuk

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have a few options, depending on space and weight.
A small pillow case stuffed with a fleece
Currently using a vango half moon pillow that fits into hood of sleeping bag.
A few small travel pillows. Some of which I have made myself.

@Grip. Have a look at small cushion blanks, cover in a material of your choice.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Self inflating pillow. It's not like they take up much space.

Clothes in a bag is terrible (for me anyway), might as well just use a rock or something else hard.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I roll up my coat and use that or use the edge of my bag, which whem made to the right thickness is comfortable, a bit like one of them japanese headblocks they use for sleeping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE