Pike Fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
My time spent in the outdoors is basically spent Pike Fishing, I'm a novice bushcrafter but what i'm picking up on here and the trips i do in various parts of the world i'm integrating into the time i spend at the fishing, we basically tend to be out for a day or weekends at a time the odd week/fortnight here and there

Any other Pike Anglers out there, or is everyone bushcrafters that do abit fishing???

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I used to do a fair bit of pike fishing.. Spinning and live baiting in the summer and dead baiting in the winter..I was mainly a carp angler though..

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I do a bit of piking in between everything else, occasional weekends and days here and there. Mainly dead baiting around here seems to be the most productive.

May 18, 2008
Wiltshire
Yep, caught a 6lb jack on Wednesday on a rubber roach shape lure on the huntspill.

I'm the other way round, bushcraft first, fishing came second as a result of the bushcraft.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Hi John,

Sure I fished for pike for many years back where I grew up, could never break the 30lb barrier though. Since the 80's I've fished mainly for carp, but in recent years I've grown sick of the industry and the so-called carp fishing stars, so much so I've dusted down my lure rods again and I'm planning on taking up fluff chucking too!

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
About 20 yrs ago I caught a 17lb pike in the Serpentine! It was also stuffed with crayfish back then.
Not that I ever tried eating them from there as I don't know what's in the water :yuck:

Cheers,
Steve

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
I thought there would be a few pikers about, mick i haven't broke the 30 barrier either, close at 27lbs but i'm gonna keep on trying. Been lure fishing myself for years, couple of my friends are into pike fly fishing but it pretty hard to suss out, some of those flys are huge.

Redneck you tried a 6" castaic yellow perch? big fish just seem to stick to that lure.

Sniper do you fish with any of the pac guys down your way?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I enjoy fishing for Pike, mainly lure fishing on the small river windrush - has anyone ever eaten their catch? I have heard that Pike are delicious, but the fish needs to be 4LB + to make it worthwhile.

The Trout in the windrush are delicious so might pluck up the courage to try Pike

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Bernie - how did you cook it, or perhaps i should just try and find your thread and stop being lazy :)

When i caught it,i cleaned it straight away,cut off the head and tail,seasoned the inside with salt and pepper,filled the inside with some butter,wrapped it in tin foil and put it on the barbie till cooked,its great to eat, if you blindfolded someone and gave them a taste you'd swear it was trout.

Bernie

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I remember from when i was a kid and skived of school, i used to catch jack pike, and that the flesh had a green tint to it ( does it?) When eating it had the texture of tuna, but with a freshwater taste.

Andy >>>>>----------------------------------<>

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I remember from when i was a kid and skived of school, i used to catch jack pike, and that the flesh had a green tint to it ( does it?) When eating it had the texture of tuna, but with a freshwater taste.

Andy >>>>>----------------------------------<>

There wasn't a green tint to the one i cooked,but i caught it in a loch so perhaps there different than a river caught fish,and the one i cooked tasted like trout,

Bernie

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
I ate them on a fly in trip in canada this year them and walleye in a shore lunch, also in amsterdam in a posh restaurant as well, fantastic, catch and release is a big thing for pike angler but taking of small fish for the pot is ok in my book. Killing big fish is a no no. I thought it was fairly flavourless the dry bater mix they had in canada was a cajun one which picked up the flour a little

Gonna get a few black iron pans to do my own shore lunches soon

There is a few vids on you tube

Shore lunch
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd29nZ_Anbc

Removing Pin bones (Y-bones)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bcWyGrV0qao

Isn't you tube excellent

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE