Pigment painted buckskin items. using traditional fish roe paints.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
Hello guys.
I have recently been having a crack at some more woodland indian crafts. first up is painting using traditional pigment paint made using fish roe. Unlike using a tempera, fish roe paint is far more flexible when dried so will not crack and flake away from the leather.

First up I have a pair of sheaths. One neck sheath and the a belt/sash sheath. both sheaths are made of veg tan leather. which has been sewn using trade wire. I observed this style of production in a few sheaths at the British museum. The belt sheath is a loopless belt case designed to be worn tucked behind a belt or sash. the flap a the front is wet formed and does a surprisingly good job of keeping the sheath secure.

Next up is a drawstring bag. The shape of which is based on north eastern tobacco bags. Although all surviving examples have a netted quillwork panel beneath. On all of these items i have used genuine vermillion and black ochre.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE