Pigeon Jerky

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
would be ideal for drying as it is very low fat. Marinating has no hard or fast rules. I would experiment with soya sauce, dried garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika, ect.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Has anyone tried this and have you got any tips for a marinade?

Thanks, Russ

Never tried with pigeon but a nice marinade worcestershire sauce, soya sauce, honey and brown suger with a pinch of chilli powder leave in fridge overnight or longer if you prefer tastes great

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Thanks for the replies, have it marinading in worcestershire sauce, soya sauce, chilli vinegar, paprika, honey and suger sounds good, back in a sec...............

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Theres a couple of pigeons in the game larder - whats the next step after marinating, I guess drying off in a low oven?

What I normally do is cut the meat into 1 inch strips and place it in a pre-heated oven at the highest setting for a couple of minutes, i then turn the oven down to its lowest setting and cook until completely dried checking often to make sure its not burning, the last jerky we made was from ox heart which I took to the super sausage everyone said they enjoyed it but could not tell which cut it was, so ox heart is worth trying let us know how it turns out

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
I used a dehydrator and my first attempt has turned out ok, tastes a bit like liver though, I think i will add a lot more chilli next time. I'll keep my eye out for ox heart at the supermarket and give that a go next, thanks for the advice.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
What I normally do is cut the meat into 1 inch strips and place it in a pre-heated oven at the highest setting for a couple of minutes, i then turn the oven down to its lowest setting and cook until completely dried checking often to make sure its not burning, the last jerky we made was from ox heart which I took to the super sausage everyone said they enjoyed it but could not tell which cut it was, so ox heart is worth trying let us know how it turns out

Thanks for the tip. Theres a woodcock as well - worth a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE