Pig and the spit roasting of

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just reminded me in Australia they cook chicken with a tin of beer stuck in the ribcage cavity. A metal stand holds the beer can upright and the chicken is pushed down upright over that. (The tin is opened but full) .So while cooking, the beer steams out and flavours the chicken. Being Australian this is called beer bum chicken.

We do the same thing here too. if it's beer, we either call it "beer butt chicken" or "drunken chicken." Sometimes it's a can of Coke stuck up the chicken's butt; but that doesn't have any particular name. Here's a link to one of the stands: www.amazon.com/Old-Smokey-Beer-Chicken-Holder/dp/B000XE63M2

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Thanks Stuart, think its going to be much more "rustic".

I've posted a few bits and pieces from the discussions I've been having on the subject with my friends on my blog (http://www.waark.com) £695 for what I'm trying to build! I'm hoping the costs will be under £100

Hi tim_n There was a thread a while back (can,t find it now ! ) about making a spit - sure it was one of the skilled smiths on here - made out of steel road pins ?? Looked the biz ,with adjustable height pegs - and no where near that price :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Just to update, I went the lazy 'buy stuff new' approach. I bought a set of 25mm bearings from ebay (£6), a stainless steel 25mm rod for £50 and some steel box section. Welded it together to make a frame, mounted the 25mm bearings into 23m holes and the pole sits on top of the bearings and rotates very nicely with minimal friction. Both myself and a friend could stand on the steel bar on the bearings and it would rotate and the bearings didn't pop out.

I cut the 3m stainless steel rod to make 2.5m and have a nice 50cm heavy 'dispatching' pipe for fishing...

I don't know what the health and safety rules are on roasting kits, but assuming the meat only touches stainless steel it shouldn't be a problem and I can probably get away with doing a few roasts selling to the public at scout events. Quite often we're asked to do burgers at events because 'hog roasts are too expensive' (ie they actually charge the organisers to turn up!). I've bought a few stainless steel U brackets and spikes which have collars to fit a 25mm stainless pole. I can't weld that sort of thing (infact my welding is pretty bad as it is!)

Got two halves of a metal barrel to use for containing the charcoal.

Local reCycling have offered me the sprockets to make gears & will be going to a scrappy to get a windscreen wiper motor.

70lb pig for £168 delivered (I think that's fairly reasonable).

Where's your invite? Probably lost in the post ;)

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
sorry its abit late but only just seen this heres my version, i just used a 35mm mild steel rod and everything was fine done lots now and everyone enjoys it i have a disc on the spit bar with holes drilled all the way round so you just turn to the next hole and lock in it gives an even cook, chickens are superb on the spit i use stainless wire to tie on my pig/chickens.
I also like to use cherry wood with charcoal gives a lovely flavour to the meat, enjoy yours i am sure you will do more after this one atb wayne

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Just to update, I went the lazy 'buy stuff new' approach. I bought a set of 25mm bearings from ebay (£6), a stainless steel 25mm rod for £50 and some steel box section. Welded it together to make a frame, mounted the 25mm bearings into 23m holes and the pole sits on top of the bearings and rotates very nicely with minimal friction. Both myself and a friend could stand on the steel bar on the bearings and it would rotate and the bearings didn't pop out.

I cut the 3m stainless steel rod to make 2.5m and have a nice 50cm heavy 'dispatching' pipe for fishing...

I don't know what the health and safety rules are on roasting kits, but assuming the meat only touches stainless steel it shouldn't be a problem and I can probably get away with doing a few roasts selling to the public at scout events. Quite often we're asked to do burgers at events because 'hog roasts are too expensive' (ie they actually charge the organisers to turn up!). I've bought a few stainless steel U brackets and spikes which have collars to fit a 25mm stainless pole. I can't weld that sort of thing (infact my welding is pretty bad as it is!)

Got two halves of a metal barrel to use for containing the charcoal.

Local reCycling have offered me the sprockets to make gears & will be going to a scrappy to get a windscreen wiper motor.

70lb pig for £168 delivered (I think that's fairly reasonable).

Where's your invite? Probably lost in the post ;)

Dude we need pictures of this. Sounds EPIC!!

Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Project moving along! Both ends done and mechanised bit. Got the cogs from a reCycle program for £5 and the motor from a scrap yard - windscreen wiper (front) from a ford mondeo - £10!

It's hooked up to a bench power supply. At 5v it works very well, 2rpm! Perfect for the roasting of!

Very pleased with how we managed to get the main crank onto the bar - I'd bought some collars with the idea of using them to secure wire to, but they turned out able to be welded to the crank!

Bit of a loose chain, but we're working on a tensioner.

u7ytabeh.jpg

gerehy7u.jpg

5ebeme4a.jpg

abeveva5.jpg

ysareqer.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice work Tim... that's going to look impressive turning away :)

Just an observation on the frame... you might want to consider putting some diagonal bracing as extra support to the main uprights. It'll be a lot of weight on the top when you get the pig on there and you don't want it to suddenly bend and snap the joint at the base.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE