Spit Roasting - The results!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
So we finally got around to trying spit roasting with, as expected, mixed results :)

We spatchcocked 2 and kept one whole and didn't pre-cook any of them. After some considerable monkeying around we realised that we didn't have the time to come up with a suitable system to cook the spatchcocked ones in such a way that we could reliably turn them so we bunged them on a grill instead. The one on the spit was actually fine - again we had issues securing it so it would turn properly. We also didn't build the fire enough before we started because it was getting dark meaning that it ultimately burned too low making things properly complicated. However luckily we had someone on hand with asbestos fingers and it worked out well in the end. The spatchcocked ones cooked fine as did the spit - it just took ages.

All things considered it was a blinding experience and as with most things, having a pop at it meant that we learned plenty and next time I think we'll not have half the issues.

4413092639_77393fd524.jpg

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I think the angle of the photo makes it look bigger than it actually was but the plan had been for a long fire so we could rake coals out to cook on. That idea went a bit south though as we didn't get it quite right. Live'n'learn though!

That's a Monster fire place Johnnno. Food looks great.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glad it worked for you :D Cooked not tanned even :cool:

As a guideline, how long did the spit roasted bird take to cook compared to the spatchcocked ones ?

cheers,
Toddy

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
To be honest, one was on the grill, the other on the spit so I think a comparison wouldn't mean much. Bloody ages would be the best answer :D

Glad it worked for you :D Cooked not tanned even :cool:

As a guideline, how long did the spit roasted bird take to cook compared to the spatchcocked ones ?

cheers,
Toddy

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Spatchcocking and cooking on a grill seems a mighty fine and efficient way to do a chicken if you want to cook the whole thing. Spit roasting is just fully awesome and every fire should have meat of some sort roatating over it at all times :D

I suppose it's about time. If I had time then spit roasting is loads of fun but you wont be eating for a while and you have to keep turning the bugger. Spatchcocking is faster but will still take quite a while. One thing of note was that the spatched chicken was a git to work with - very slimey and you end up covered in raw bird. With the whole chicken we just rammed a spit where the sun don't shine while the bird was still in a bag meaning minimum contamination with raw meat.

The bottom line is it's more about getting the cooking method right - plenty of time, a decent fire that will last as long as required and plenty of thought on how best to suspend the chicken for the period required (harder than it seems). After that it's just a matter of rotation and patience.

Next up - full leg of lamb!

:D

Maybe a better question might be, "Which way would you do it next time ? " :)

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Didn't some of the guys spit roast a lamb shank at the middlewood meet? just sort of a stick hung over the fire and turned occasionally. smelled amazing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The name for the wee laddie who had the job of turning the spit in the old castle kitchens was a Turnbrochie :D

Can we not invent a wind up one for camping ?

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
how about this for a contraption. fill a bucket like device with water, tie a rope round it then fling over a tree limb. tie off a lump of wood of the same weight as the water and hoist up so its up by the top of the limb.
now, wrap some cord round your spit (away from the fire) then tie to bucket device.
pierce the bucket device so it dripps a bit of water out.
as it rises it should pull on the wrapped cord turning the spit.
re-fill as needed at intervals
:D

alternatively find some mug willing to look after it.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I had a hogroast as part of my wedding day. Is it wrong of me to have enjoyed that part the most???? hahahaha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE