Pig and the spit roasting of

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Looking to build a pig spit roaster. No real clue on the subject as I've not done it before.

I've been told to look at 35mm thick rods for roasting on - I've found a stainless steel one which ought to do the job, but it's pretty expensive - about £50 for a 1.5m length

I've also looked at getting 30mm box section (2.5m thick) to build a stand for it. Hoping to find some cheap bearings to allow it to turn smoothly. Heard that windscreen wiper motors have enough torque to turn it when you put a couple of bicycle wheels into the mix to make a gearing to slow down the RPM.

Couple of corrigated steel sheets for firebuckets either side to do the cooking.

Sound sensible? Is 35mm steel rods overkill for about a 60-70lb pig?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
What will be your heat source?

35mm sounds overkill for 60lb to me. I reckon the rod will weigh more than the pig. But that is just a suckling pig, isn't it? Adult pigs run to 3 times that weight.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Have you thought of trying a cajun microwave type setup instead? Less to make/go wrong, but you need to keep adding coals/wood - a grill to use the top coals as a grill to keep the cooking crew supplied with BBQ food is not a bad idea too.....

lens1633452_Cajun_Microwave-Inside_View-Apr_01.jpg

http://www.squidoo.com/Cajun-Microwave

Or for an even simpler on - the cinderblock method: http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03

If you like outdoor cooking & smoking cowgirl's blog's a treasure trove BTW.

cookout6-07andsaltplains146-copy.jpg

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
It'd be nice if it can handle an actual hog, though I have no idea if 1.5m would be long enough for one. 60-70lb should be enough for about 35-40 people, but I might be looking at more - perhaps about 100lbs

I've had an engineer look at the loading and he doesn't believe a 2mm thick pole (of diameter 40mm) would flex much under that sort of load (70lb)

Heat source is likely to be charcol for this (safer bet)

Didn't fancy the heat pits, whilst cheaper, they require me to be up all night shovelling coals and I'd prefer to be in a state to enjoy the party - as it is, I'll probably be up about 6am to get this on so that we can eat around 5ish.

I've also got a couple of kegs to brew...

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Good enough reasons. If I lived nearer I'd volunteer to do the cooking (fire tending) for you. Am tempted to try making a cajun microwave for myself though - maybe a smaller one - big turkey or whole pork butt sized - with the BBQ on top could be fun.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Didn't fancy the heat pits, whilst cheaper, they require me to be up all night shovelling coals and I'd prefer to be in a state to enjoy the party.

Unless you like really dry meat, you're going to miss most of the party anyway because you'll be stood by the spit constantly basting the thing. It would be best to get it done in a bakers oven and then kept warm on a metal tray over a BBQ.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Unless you like really dry meat, you're going to miss most of the party anyway because you'll be stood by the spit constantly basting the thing. It would be best to get it done in a bakers oven and then kept warm on a metal tray over a BBQ.

Yep, a lot of basting to be done, we used to inject our spit roasts with red wine and coke, don't ask me why, it was / is a South African thing lol

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah Coke is common for cooking a lot of things over here. Especially with a country ham. Not so much with a city ham though. And no, country and city hams aren't different recipes. Rather they're differnt types of cure over here. Country ham is a very strong cure that's almost mummified and has to be re-hydrated (that's where the Coke often comes in) before cooking. But Coke is also used as a glaze or poaching liquid in loads of recipes. Both the sugar and acidity can be used to great advantage.

And that "Cajun Microwave" looks like the common way to slow roast most any meat in a lot of Caribbean countries. It always pulls off into a wonderful, juicy shredded meat!

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Yeah Coke is common for cooking a lot of things over here. Especially with a country ham. Not so much with a city ham though. And no, country and city hams aren't different recipes. Rather they're differnt types of cure over here. Country ham is a very strong cure that's almost mummified and has to be re-hydrated (that's where the Coke often comes in) before cooking. But Coke is also used as a glaze or poaching liquid in loads of recipes. Both the sugar and acidity can be used to great advantage.

And that "Cajun Microwave" looks like the common way to slow roast most any meat in a lot of Caribbean countries. It always pulls off into a wonderful, juicy shredded meat!

Your Coke is totally different isn't it? Is yours made from corn syrup instead of sugar?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Thanks Stuart, think its going to be much more "rustic".

I've posted a few bits and pieces from the discussions I've been having on the subject with my friends on my blog (http://www.waark.com) £695 for what I'm trying to build! I'm hoping the costs will be under £100

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Your Coke is totally different isn't it? Is yours made from corn syrup instead of sugar?

Yeah sort of. The sweetener is high fructose corn syrup. At least it has been for the last 25 years or so. But in the end, sugar is sugar; whether it comes from sugar cane, or palm hearts, or beets, or corn. The only one I can really tell a difference in is when something's sweetened with honey.

Last edited:

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Google "White Trash Ham" sometime. Apparently the whole ham in coke thing is a US thing too. You'll have a chance to look at Nigella Lawson too :)

Just reminded me in Australia they cook chicken with a tin of beer stuck in the ribcage cavity. A metal stand holds the beer can upright and the chicken is pushed down upright over that. (The tin is opened but full) .So while cooking, the beer steams out and flavours the chicken. Being Australian this is called beer bum chicken.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE