Pictures vs. Youtube In Threads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I prefer pics. I used to not get anything of pic heavy threads with our old connection, just time outs.

Now we're on B4RN I'm watching more you tube.

The thing that really baffles me is when peeps proudly take a pic of their camp and there are plastic bags and crap strewn everywhere.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i dont mind the odd video, even if they arnt the greatest director/presenter in the world if the content is good i dont mind. i still like lot of pictures aswell though

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Videos are nice, may not be a great cinematic experience but OK.

Some right miserable buggers here these days.........'I can't watch a video'.......chill out. Go back only a few years on BCUK and other forums and even making a video was not easy, no smart phones etc.

I've just added this thread to my personal collection of 'Daft Threads' and saved it so even if removed I can still look and think.....Chill out lol

For those of you knocking the videos I say get off your bums and do a video showing how it should be done so as to help the poor sods your so easily dismissing in their efforts... shame on you.

Sorry but I have to agree with this.

Yes good pictures and a writeup are nice but video is also nice and a bonus. If you dont want to watch vids then dont click play button, simple as that imo. Yes there many crap videos but there are also many good ones.

Complaining or moaning about people posting videos is just silly, you have a choice to watch them same as they have a choice to post them.

There are still always going to be people who post pics/text only but what you have to accept is that there are also people who wish to post videos, That isn't going to change no matter what other peoples opinions are.

....keep the writeups, pictures AND videos coming guys/gals :)

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think my main bugbear with vids is that they are difficult to preview. You can scroll through a slideshow/presentation in a couple of minutes or less and get a reasonable idea whether or not it might be worth further viewing. Not so with a video. OK, you can look at odd frames throughout its length but those odd fractions of seconds of footage with no sound or other explanation are not the same. The only effective way to ascertain if a video might be worth watching, is to watch it.
It's nicer to know if something might be a waste of time rather than finding out it actually is.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For me, I think it depends on the content. For instructions I find pictures preferable. That way when I am trying to follow them I can progress at my own pace, refer back to previous pictures etc. rather than be constrained by the pace of the video. However when looking at certain techniques, seeing a tool used in motion can be helpful. I was discussing the technique for filing metal recently with someone - a youtube video showing the technique was more helpful than a still photograph.

In the context of this site, I prefer photographs of most things, but, for example, a video of bowdrill technique might show speed of drilling etc. better than a "still"

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I think my main bugbear with vids is that they are difficult to preview. You can scroll through a slideshow/presentation ..."

Indeed. If I do spot a video that I think might be interesting I have a couple of extensions on my Chrome browser that allow me to download it, that takes about thirty seconds and later on I skip through the video and decide if I want to watch it.

YouTubeOptions

Video Downloader Pro

:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I find myself joining the majority here in that I love the written word. A well written piece evokes more in me weather it's because of the language or the sheer passion in what's been written about coming through. There are some good Vids though, as Mr Kelly says WeeWildyCamper has popped up a couple of nice videos since joining and there worth a watch.
I do find if I'm pushed for time, bandwidth or battery on the laptop I'll give the video's a miss. Were-as I'll at least quickscan the written ones.
I also find I retain what's been written better and savour some of the choice expressions that some folk come away with.

Haggis

Nomad
I've started a YouTube channel, and I've some videos there, but I too get bored quickly if the video is going to drag on, more especially if it's a 35 minute video of how to boil water in 5 minutes or less. Most of my videos are 1 minute or less: here's where I am, here's what I'm doing, here's my kit for the task, thanks for stopping by.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I prefer photoes and text myself.
Much too impatient to see 2-3 minutes of talking bull* before 10 Seconds of action on youtube videoes.
That said not all videoes are like that, some are actually very good, but far too many has far too much talk.

One tip to the video makers. If the video title tells what you are going to show, why on Earth do you have a 5 minutes "intro" explaining the same thing.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm retired so can spare a few minutes to watch a video but one gripe I have with many is the loud music so many seem to include. As someone else said I too download most video's so I can watch later and easily fast forward it if needed.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I like quality content. Video or pictures and text. Finding quality videos seems to be increasingly difficult and can waste a lot of time sifting through the dross. BCUK continues to amaze me, not only with the heartwarming generosity and the insane, obsessive genius of members, but with the quality of the written & photographic content.

There is another, perhaps more subtle, difference. When someone posts a trip report or tutorial with some words and pictures, that is their gift to the forum, along the lines of "here, share my experiences". If someone just posts a link and says "click here for an amazing video", that seems to be just using the forum to publicise their own Youtube channel and you are invited to click away from the forum.

The best combination is when you get a good write up with good pictures and a link to a video along the lines of "if you want to see more of my day out/invention/shiny gadget, then click here". That gives the audience a chance to skim the post or go into more detail if they are interested & have the time/device/connection needed.

Z

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
this is all well and good... but where do you all sit on animated .gif's?

tumblr_lgqpjoHISn1qgne6io1_500.gif

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
personally i am mystified as to why people want to bother making videos of trips in the first place, would have thought the experience of being out there reward enough in itself.

There's a saying that you can either enjoy the moment now or film it now and enjoy the moment later.
But that really depends on how well you film it and ultimately you're only watching a TV programme of an event you were at, but not involved in.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's a saying that you can either enjoy the moment now or film it now and enjoy the moment later.
But that really depends on how well you film it and ultimately you're only watching a TV programme of an event you were at, but not involved in.

Very good post, couldn't say it that well for myself!

There's nothing at all wrong with videos and in their place I love 'em, but in the context of the OP they just don't work as well as photos and text
for me, but it's purely a personal thing. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE