Picture Sizing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I have asked the question on my own thread "My First Knife!" but I realise that this is probably the better place to ask...

Whenever I try to upload photos onto the forum I have to shrink them to get within the size limitations of the upload allowance. This leaves me with a lovely clear picture but it's about the size of a stamp. Knowing as little as I do about how to actually use the PC properly I'm never going to work out how to upload images from my PC that are any bigger without some kind soul telling me how to do it, step by painful step :rolleyes:

Can anyone help me on this? Pretty please?

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would like to know this aswell as my pictures are all to big to upload to the bcuk user gallery
leon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
leon-b said:
i would like to know this aswell as my pictures are all to big to upload to the bcuk user gallery
leon

Leon...To reduce the photo's to a size to upload, I use microsofts image resizing tool, get it here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Just scroll down, its on the right hand side. To use it, once its downloaded, just right click on your photo and select the image resizer. I find selecting large on it is a good size for uploading. I then resize again in Image shack to 640x480 to get a photo of this size on here. Hope this helps....
dsc01975largebk8.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I resize my photos so that they are small enough to upload, but then the image is too small for my liking. Any bigger on the screen and they are too big to upload.

I can upload them OK. I can resize them OK. What I cannot work out is how to make them bigger than they are presently on-screen without them being too big (Computer size) to upload.

I'm not using my own PC at the moment so cannot get into my photos to try anything clever. Will have another stab at the job in about a weeks time when I get home.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Longstrider said:
I resize my photos so that they are small enough to upload, but then the image is too small for my liking. Any bigger on the screen and they are too big to upload.

I can upload them OK. I can resize them OK. What I cannot work out is how to make them bigger than they are presently on-screen without them being too big (Computer size) to upload.

I'm not using my own PC at the moment so cannot get into my photos to try anything clever. Will have another stab at the job in about a weeks time when I get home.
Try resizing your photo's so they are near the maximum size permitted onto image shack, or photo bucket, what ever you use and use there resizer and set it to 480x640 to get it to appear the size above....

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Hehe, something else I have to take some time to learn about :eek:

I tried uploading this photo last night but it is (at the moment) too large. It shows
an armchair carved from quite a big bit of tree and is sitting in a small park in
Peckham in south London.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=308966277&size=l

Jon - is that picture of one of those beetles that whirrs around the tops
of trees and swarms at you if you walk past? I've been 'attacked' by several
of them swarming around in July in Blackheath - it is like being hit in the head
by bits of popcorn.

Actually yours looks a little different from the ones I think we've got - more like
this: http://images.google.co.uk/images?h...imallon solstitialis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wi

Jo

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jodie said:
Hehe, something else I have to take some time to learn about :eek:

I tried uploading this photo last night but it is (at the moment) too large. It shows
an armchair carved from quite a big bit of tree and is sitting in a small park in
Peckham in south London.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=308966277&size=l

Jon - is that picture of one of those beetles that whirrs around the tops
of trees and swarms at you if you walk past? I've been 'attacked' by several
of them swarming around in July in Blackheath - it is like being hit in the head
by bits of popcorn.

Actually yours looks a little different from the ones I think we've got - more like
this: http://images.google.co.uk/images?h...imallon solstitialis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wi

Jo
Hi Jo.......The beetle is a May bug, also called a Cockchafer. It can form large swarms around tree tops at dusk, though it is only around during may, june time. I caught that one in my moth trap.....

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
They're certainly similar in appearance and behaviour. Ours didn't show up
until June 30th this year. I had bought a bee veil earlier in the month (to stop
them getting tangled in my hair) and took to prowling around the heath in the
evenings until they showed up. I am quite fascinated by them and next year
will try and get some photos.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jodie said:
They're certainly similar in appearance and behaviour. Ours didn't show up
until June 30th this year. I had bought a bee veil earlier in the month (to stop
them getting tangled in my hair) and took to prowling around the heath in the
evenings until they showed up. I am quite fascinated by them and next year
will try and get some photos.
Well its been a funny season this year for nature, stuff comming out early as well as late, so I bet it was may bugs....They do tangle well, I remember having trouble getting that one off my finger, they cling on well.......

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
The first time I discovered these things I'd no idea what it was that seemed to
be flying out of the ground and zooming right at me. I brushed a couple away
but they gave a very good impression of being determined to swarm at me and
thwack me in the head. At the time I thought they looked like little mint humbugs.

I can only imagine how I must have looked, trying to fend them off...

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
What I cannot work out is how to make them bigger than they are presently on-screen without them being too big (Computer size) to upload.

Use some sort of photo editing software. A lot of the basic ones allow you to 'optimise' the compression on your images so that they are big in the physical sense but not big in the data sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE