Picked up a DPM Saracen MMPS zip down. How to make it work with PLCE?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
So in my tiny mind, is this as easy as sewing zips onto the existing zip fabric effectively giving me both zip up and zip down options?

I have ordered some PLCE vislon zips. I am thinking of doing a saddle stitch (or maybe 2 rows) by hand on the new zips on the outer edge as I don't have any zip down pouches or the want to buy any but you never know so keeping it original is necessary.

Anyone done this / What do you think?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
aha yes i thought you would have tried something like this. :)

I think its got potential but in practice hmmm. I've got the sewing kit from a previous project so ill give it a try with emphasis on the load bearing top area. might take a couple of attempts.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I recall sewing it with just a straight stitch on the machine with a zipper foot. There wasn’t much room if I remember correctly. Will dig the bag out and look although I did pick the zip off to make a zip on ‘side net’ for the lowepro to shove a jacket in etc. Will have a look this weekend

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I recall sewing it with just a straight stitch on the machine with a zipper foot. There wasn’t much room if I remember correctly. Will dig the bag out and look although I did pick the zip off to make a zip on ‘side net’ for the lowepro to shove a jacket in etc. Will have a look this weekend
Cheers, should be a fun project. i think the awl might work as i can get right near to where i think i need to be, plus i havent got a machine.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
What thread would you recommend Mred? Ive got various around but would like a dedicated thread that I can use when I eventually get round to putting Molle on an old issue bergan and the hole the awl makes looks quite big. I ordered a couple of awls the same as Bex is using.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
What thread would you recommend Mred? Ive got various around but would like a dedicated thread that I can use when I eventually get round to putting Molle on an old issue bergan and the hole the awl makes looks quite big. I ordered a couple of awls the same as Bex is using.

I would use something like gutermann extra strong polyester. Quite a heavy thread used for denim, canvas etc and polyester so won’t rot.

I looked at my bag today, I didn’t sew the zip to the other zip, I sewed it to the flap that the original zip is sewn to, between the original zip and the flap that covers the zip.

I have some really heavy thread I use in an awl that I can try and find for you if want?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Great thats on the way.
I would use something like gutermann extra strong polyester. Quite a heavy thread used for denim, canvas etc and polyester so won’t rot.

I looked at my bag today, I didn’t sew the zip to the other zip, I sewed it to the flap that the original zip is sewn to, between the original zip and the flap that covers the zip.

I have some really heavy thread I use in an awl that I can try and find for you if want?
Thanks Mate, Ill see how the gutermann works and be in touch if needed.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
The zips arrived today and i couldn't wait so after some mistakes after around 3 hours learning on the job, I managed to get 1 of 4 on and i'm pretty happy with it.

7R3qEawl.jpg

vdjNY1Ql.jpg

t8TD5IZl.jpg

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
On top of the pouch are some click buckles. The female part seems to miss at the Saracen.
Are there other options to secure the pouches or is it not needed to do so because the zippers alone work well enough?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Looking good. Nice neat job for a first go too, you should be pleased. Some pictures of it fully loaded would be great if you could :)

There’s some old salient’s on eBay at the moment. I’m half tempted to do something similar myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE