Picked up a DPM Saracen MMPS zip down. How to make it work with PLCE?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
o1RaMQnl.jpg

Bag with winter kit. tonnes of space left plus more options pocket wise. My next mod is to add compression straps to the sides to squish side pouches. Saracen weighs 1.2 Kg more than the Bergan with same load.

I managed to do this with a speedy stitcher (used as a normal awl) I bought years ago and didn't have the patience to figure out how it worked plus bex's video helped a lot.

Things that really helped:

Drawing a line to follow while stitching.
pinning the zip in place and once a few stitches in move it down the job. I used safety pins.
If you make too many mistakes undoing the stitches, the thread will weaken and break so
A couple of times I pulled it all out and started with fresh thread and took my time.
A comfortable chair as I got back ache pretty regular.

Awls

Zips (a bit lighter colour than PLCE ones)

HTH

Reactions: FerlasDave

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Kit in the bag: (these will get moved around as i play with it)

Top pocket
Fire kit, SAK, spare batteries in Small pouch.
Warm hat, gloves, shmag.
Laplander saw.
Snacks.

Under lid.
Mora.

Main hole.
2 liters Nato bottles and Crusader mug.
Cooking gear (depends) and food.
Thermarest.
German folding mat.
Bivvy Poles
Wet gear top and trouser.
Warm Gear, bivvy jacket, woolpower Top and bottom.

In bottom section
D4 sleeping bag.
Issue Bivvy Bag.
Issue Basha (cords/pegs in small pouch.)

Other stuff stashed.
hexi stove, paracord, normally stick a roll mat on the side.

This thing is massive, even compared to my predator 80-130.
Will enjoy trying it out.

Reactions: FerlasDave and MrEd

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
The thread arrived today, not what i was expecting. Its half the size of the spool and thread is half the size again compared to what I used. will be ok for something else.

I think next time i'm going to get proper specs as no one seemed to want to tell you the thread diameter and spool dimensions. etc.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Yes mate, no reflection on what you said. it is really strong, and now I think about it the thicker thread I used (most likely waxed linen after a search) was for leather work I bought years ago. would be nice to get a poly thread the same diameter for heavy cordura work.
I am totally clueless when it comes to sewing and threads etc.

rGvp6xGl.jpg

cJExnCpl.jpg

MbKzfD0l.jpg

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yes mate, no reflection on what you said. it is really strong, and now I think about it the thicker thread I used (most likely waxed linen after a search) was for leather work I bought years ago. would be nice to get a poly thread the same diameter for heavy cordura work.
I am totally clueless when it comes to sewing and threads etc.

rGvp6xGl.jpg

cJExnCpl.jpg

MbKzfD0l.jpg

That thread on the right is VERY heavy.

The guterman stuff will be fine tbh, it’s surprisingly strong - I use it in a sewing machine

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
That thread on the right is VERY heavy.

The guterman stuff will be fine tbh, it’s surprisingly strong - I use it in a sewing machine
Yes its almost nanocord :) . I asked bez on YT what and where he gets his. its 1mm 150D waxed polyester thread. I think the hole size created by the awl is so big it needs a thick thread to be able to keep tension maybe??

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yes its almost nanocord :) . I asked bez on YT what and where he gets his. its 1mm 150D waxed polyester thread. I think the hole size created by the awl is so big it needs a thick thread to be able to keep tension maybe??

Yep that’s right, a big needle with small thread would be rubbish and look terrible aswell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE