photography

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have heard that nikon is a great make so i think i will opt fo that one
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
tell me everything usefull you can about the Nikon Coolpix S4 (pretty please) as i am really interested in it, i think the swivel design looks really cool aswell
i cant wait, actually i will buy it out of my xmas money
leon
OK these are the good points that i would look for if i were buying it:
6MP (good quality pictures)
10x optical zoom (the most you will need for most situations)
Nikon lenses are quality
Rechargable battery (approx 290 shots on one charge)
SD cards are cheap
Light (205g without card or battery)
Swivel design (besides looking cool, it will fit into a pocket easier)
Pre program modes (landscape, portrait etc. Useful for those learning photography, the camera takes care of the settings, you worry about what you are taking)
Large 2.5" screen. to see what you are taking or to review shots.
Looks uncluttered and easy to use
Well known brand
Nikon metering system (that decides how much light is available and sets the shutter speed/apature etc) is one of the best out there
6cm Macro setting for good close ups

That my 2p's worth anyway :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
looks like a winner then, what case would you reccomend, it needs to be hard wearing and waterproof
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Again go for a good brand. a good camera deserves a good case.

Lowepro are a good bet for outdoor use. It's the photography division of Lowe Alpine. Go to a camera store and try the camera for fit, it's not something you can guess at too well without being there.
I am looking at their rucksacks for my new camera and gear.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have sen your photos kevin and they are great. nice little tip you told me on list to learn ark angel thanks
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
when i have my camera and some spare pennies i will take it into town and get a good case, how much should i expect to spend for a good make case
also can i get a water resistant one
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
i have sen your photos kevin and they are great. nice little tip you told me on list to learn ark angel thanks
leon

No probs mate

Am bushed so hitting the hay...night all

PS Fenlander, i have seen your work too....very very nice

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
when i have my camera and some spare pennies i will take it into town and get a good case, how much should i expect to spend for a good make case
also can i get a water resistant one
leon

For a camera that size allow between £20-£25. The right lowepro ones come with built in rain covers. If i remember i'll post a piccie of mine tomorrow.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
leon-b said:
in the new year i am going to treat myself to a camera and it will probebly be the Kodak Z740, i will be photographing wildlife, landscapes and the estuary next to where i live
has any body had experience with the camera mentioned, what do you think of it ?
what accesories should i get for it ?
got any tips for photography
leon

one of the best review sites I've come across, it was spot on with my C-5000

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s4.html

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
This is a grate thread :You_Rock_ . I've been looking into getting one of these kind of cameras but didn't really know where to start, lots of reading to do now.

I quite like the look of the Fujifilm FinePix S5600 or the Lumix DMC-FZ7, but then that Nikon Coolpix S4 does look cool, decisions :rolleyes: . I've just got one question, are all these compatible with Apple Macs? Looking around I've seen some cameras that say "Mac compatible" but most don't mention it, does that mean there not, or they're just not saying?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the Nikon Coolpix S4 does look really cool, although i know what you mean, when faced with desicions i never can choose lol
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i went to that link and looked at the pictures that had been taken with a Nikon Coolpix S4, they look good quality, thanks for the link
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
WhichDoctor said:
This is a grate thread :You_Rock_ . I've been looking into getting one of these kind of cameras but didn't really know where to start, lots of reading to do now.

I quite like the look of the Fujifilm FinePix S5600 or the Lumix DMC-FZ7, but then that Nikon Coolpix S4 does look cool, decisions :rolleyes: . I've just got one question, are all these compatible with Apple Macs? Looking around I've seen some cameras that say "Mac compatible" but most don't mention it, does that mean there not, or they're just not saying?

One of the best brands to look for when using Macs is Canon.

They are one of the few brands that specifically release drivers and software for use with Macs. That is definately the case with their printers. I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same with the cameras.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
so, have you got any more little tips AA
leon

Heh....4 years of HND work at college and i've been taking pictures/had my own camera since i was 6 (now 33).....where do i start? :lmao:

I'll stick a few photo's up....critiques from other members are welcome too...it's the only way to improve and get inspiration and ideas.
I'll nick the wifes camera and put up a shot of my camera and bag later for you as well.
PineMarten1.jpg

Snowyowl.jpg

MrWolf.jpg

Lookout.jpg

InTraining.jpg

Dribble.jpg

BadHairDay.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE