Photographs (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I Like the horses a lot. Too much foreground though (grass) - can you see how it would be better if the grass was less and there were more trees and sky above? Thirds again.

The top white flower is interesting (technically). You have the same problem with that that you have with the dog rose in the top sequence - its "burned out". This is because the flower is much lighter than the background. The camera is setting the exposure to the average and the background is too dark and the object over exposed. There are three ways to deal with this

Most good digital cameras let you over-ride the exposure (mine shows -1, -0.5, 0, +0.5 etc. in the view finder. Don't worry what this means, but if shooting a bright subject against a dark background, reduce the exposure (like your flowers). If a dark subject on a bright background (a bird on a branch with a bright sky behind) you can increase it.

You could also use your body to cast a shadow over the flower. This is why the pink and white flower is better (although blurred which indicates a slower exposure due to less like and some "shake". The lower white flower is also better as its in shadow.

The third way is to change the exposure by darkening or lightening in your software.

You are right about the boring one - there is no place in the picture for your eye to settle and nothing in the foreground. Imagine a birs breaking up the blue sky and a hawthorn bush breaking the sky line to give some foreground interest.

I hope this is useful Leon - I'm not trying to criticise - just pass on a few tips.

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Yes i see what you mean, if i pointed the camera up a little bit to incorporate the sky it would have made a better picture
Thanks for that, i read a bit about over ridingexposure but havent given it a go yet but thanks for the info i now know how to use it.
What do you think of the bottom picture ?
Is the yellow flower a Dog Rose ?
No problem mate, the whole reason i posted them on bcuk was to get some constructive critism
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bottom picture is as good as it gets in terms of sharpness and exposure.

What I was calling a dog rose was the pink one in the top sequence - looking at it now though, I think it might be a bramble :eek:

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes the yellow one is very sharp
The pink one before the sloes is bramble
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Ive got a question :D
How do you blur the background when taking macro shots ?? I've heard that if you use the macro setting but pull the camera away and zoom in you will blut the background but all the times ive done that the whole photo ends up blurred and out of focus :S
leon

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ive got a question :D
How do you blur the background when taking macro shots ?? I've heard that if you use the macro setting but pull the camera away and zoom in you will blut the background but all the times ive done that the whole photo ends up blurred and out of focus :S
leon

The thing with macro photography is it has a very narrow depth of focus. If the object that you want photograph is in focus, then because of that narrow field of focus, all the rest of the picture will naturally be out of focus.
With my cheapie digital camera, (Olympus C500) set to macro (and with the subject in focus) my depth of focus is about 15 millilitres, Everything outside of that 15mm is out of focus, and everything inside is in focus
With my Olympus OM10 and using a macro lens the depth of focus is the thickness of a pound coin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE