Pheasant time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Philr

I got given a brace last week and searched how to prepare on the net etc, I thought i'd skin one and pluck the other (never done this before) I built a fire for as i was to prepare it I might as well cook and eat it outside in my garden.
Skininning was so easy with a small incision to the base of the breast and pulling the feathers/skin off in almost one go to expose the breast which was neatly cut from the bone, the legs were cut off with a pair of secatures, then the carcass disposed of on the fire,
I sliced the breast up into small cubes and fried with chopped onion and a splash of red wine, A few minutes in the pan then into my bowl. Bliss, feet up, hot dinner and a mug or two of the red stuff infront of a fire.

The next day feathering, now i know it can get messy so again lit my fire and prepared to feather as i pulled the feathers off it took the skin with it so I went back to plan A and cut the meat out,

Never mind try again with another brace, so anyone out there for tips on de-feathering a carcass please give advice.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I got given a brace last week and searched how to prepare on the net etc, I thought i'd skin one and pluck the other (never done this before) I built a fire for as i was to prepare it I might as well cook and eat it outside in my garden.
Skininning was so easy with a small incision to the base of the breast and pulling the feathers/skin off in almost one go to expose the breast which was neatly cut from the bone, the legs were cut off with a pair of secatures, then the carcass disposed of on the fire,
I sliced the breast up into small cubes and fried with chopped onion and a splash of red wine, A few minutes in the pan then into my bowl. Bliss, feet up, hot dinner and a mug or two of the red stuff infront of a fire.

The next day feathering, now i know it can get messy so again lit my fire and prepared to feather as i pulled the feathers off it took the skin with it so I went back to plan A and cut the meat out,

Never mind try again with another brace, so anyone out there for tips on de-feathering a carcass please give advice.

your not on your own, i have been prepping fur and feather for well over 25 years, and still can't do a pheasant without tearing the skin,chicken,duck, pigeon,goose all perfect but pheasant argh,so if there is a way let me no also as nothing looks better to me than a well dressed bird, ex feathered that is

bernie

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I agree the skin is thin.
The only advice I can give is to take one feather at a time!!!! or at least only a couple

I hate plucking and will almost always skin or breast a pheasant given the choice

Best of luck

Mark

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I've tried dunking in scalding water and the only thing that achieved was to stop the feathers flying. Last year I watched someone with a plucking machine, worked pretty well as the amount of pressure on the bird needs only to be very light, but its an expensive way of preparing odd birds.

Pothunter.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've also torn the skin. It's just the way it is I think. The mess is just not worth it anyway, skin the bird and lay a few rashers of fatty bacon on it before bunging it in the oven for a while! Tastes great, I haven't tried it over a fire yet but if it is cooked outdoors, I can see it tasting a thousand times better!

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
Yup, I tend to breast however was called upon yesterday to skin a couple and twasn't to bad. A few minor tears here and there but nothing that'l worry too much, I do take it very slowly though whilst listnening to a lil bit of panpipe music so perhaps that has something to do with it. Pheasant is definatly the worst plucking bird I've come across not really sure why that would be though....

Just got the goose and deer to go now!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
well after all these years of ripping and tearing iv'e found a way,purely by chance, after hanging outside for 5 days,i clean plucked this one,it was nearly frozen after the cold spell, so i now only pluck them after putting in the feezer for a while and it works a treat,
happy new year to all bernie
Picture11397.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE