Pheasant is getting boring now..

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
what sort of dishes you make with it?
I've been cooking and cooking...curries, stews, 'in blankets' etc. but could do some more 'simple' ideas. I don't like pheasant with anything with tomato..in my mouth they don't go together.
I though the our season with pheasant was already over....but just landed with another lot of birds. Lovely as they are...month after month eating same meat can get bit boring. Even having week off during festivities didn't help..we had turkey as 'quest' on table...:rolleyes:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I did a nice potroast pheasant for xmas a few years ago. I will see if I can find the recipe if you like?

For a quick meal I also like to strip the meat from the bone and then grab a tin of uncle bens sweet and sour. Fry up the pheasant and add the contents of the jar. When you do the rice, add a knob of butter and then some dried oregano. Just makes it a bit different.

OK its not proper cooking but it fills a hole and its quick to do when you have just come in from the cold.

Last edited:

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Oh..don't go digging...if you remember roughly pot went into pot...I'm sure I can rustle up something similar.
I'm suffering more of 'empty brain syndrome' ...cooking skill are still all there...

I forgot all about 'Uncle' stuff...yes..I think that would do very nicely...and I DOES qualify as 'proper' cooking..!

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
IIRC it was Onions, garlic, chestnuts, bacon, thyme, stock, bouquet garni and I think there was a little fresh orange juice in there too but don't quote me on that.

You have me thinking now...its going to bug me until I find it!! lol

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I just take the breasts off. If is a cock bird, flatten between 2 bits of cling film in a bashing motion.
Take about 4 cloves of garlic and a big bunch of parsley (fresh) and whiz in the machine with a bit oil and rock salt.

Take the green mush and spread over the breasts and leave for, well 24hrs is great.

Dicht them in flour (seasoned if you wish) then beaten egg, then fresh breadcrumbs from the mixer. (you can change the egg to a thin batter it works well)

Shallow fry in olive oil.

Turn once and then into a low oven.

Make gravy in the pan with redcurrant jelly and port and some chicken gravy.

Serve with roasted tatties and parsnips drizzled with runny honey.

Hope this helps or at least makes you hungry:)

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
OK...THANKS! Few new ideas there..and I'm actually eager to have few more pheasant meals again..definitely going to try them.
'Uncle quickie' meal tomorrow while I get green 'mush' on and getting the breasts 'marinated' for second..and third day I shall do pot roast using left over bacon..sorted for a while!
I better get my brain in gear and think what do with rest of birds...they are not going to freezer...there is enough birds already...HUH..

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1. disjoint it, flour it and fry it like chicken (pan fry shallow, not deep fry)
2. Don't flour it and fry it whole like turkey (deep fry shallow)
3. Disjoint it, flour it, fry it like chicken (again, pan fried shallow) remove from the oil, add flour to the hot oil to make a roux, deglaze with broth and/or red wine to make a gravy, add bird back and simmer about another 10-20 minutes. This one is best served over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes. This is also the best recipe for cooking squirrels.

In all cass, season to taste as you cook.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Again..all the suggestions sounds tasty..Thank you!

Heh..just had pheasant korma for a week...each day served with different veg..now I have quite had enough of pheasant in that form.
I just coundn't think which other form I could face the meat again so bunged all the meat that I was given on that time into same pot..and HUGE pot it is indeed:rolleyes:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Strip the meat from the carcass, chop it up, and then you can add to any number of dishes. You can even disguise the flavour by using other strong tastes (chilli, garlic, ginger for example). Have you tried curing the meat for a different texture?

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Make up pasta sauce.

Thinly, slice breasts and pan fry. As soon as they are cooked, add the pasta sauce.

Serve over fresh tagla...you know what.

Previously, line a sieve with one square of kitchen paper. Rest over a bowl and pour a tub of natural yoghurt in. Leave for 1 to 24/48hrs. All the watery stuff drains out and you have thickened (Greek styleish) yog.

Add a dolup on top and parmesan cheese.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have tried pheasant in various sauces, stews and concoctions, never really liked it to be honest.
Then recently I had it from shot to pan in about half hour simply legged and breasted straight in a hot well oiled and seasoned griddle and it was wonderful.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Well...I'm all supplied with plenty of fresh ideas now! Thank you all.. and what is best..all this 'talk' has got my brain cells back into gear and I can 'feel' some ideas of my own bubbling on the surface. Yayy..there is still hope with this zombie head of mine...!
Those meal ideas should keep me going few weeks until the season is over..I just hope some cold weather to keep the birds in good condition outside giving me some time to deal with them all..
Once all are dealt with...it is time to turn veggie for a while..

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
My favourite way is to make a blackberry sauce- blackberries, butter, red wine, port, sliced mushrooms, thyme and seasoning. Pan fry the pheasant breasts and serve with a celeriac mash - celeriac cooked in milk, seasoning, butter and a squeeze of lemon juice (keep some of the cooking milk to get the mash to the right consistency).
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE