Pheasant is getting boring now..

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
we make pheasant kievs,nice change from roasted with bacon,heres an old family recipe of mine:
pppp.jpg

zumerzet chicken.

this is a recipe i was given by an aunt who lived her whole life in a village near Bridgewater called Weston Zoyland.it got its parculiar name in the days when even the mention of pheasant for tea would get you up before the beak! as with most old country recipes the quantities are aproximate Aunty Conie would just add apinch of this and a shake of that but she finally put it to paper before she died in the 1980's.

1 plump pheasant,hung for 3 days .
2 tablespoons of seasoned flour
2 oz dripping or bacon fat.
2 tablespoons of condensed tomato ,ie paste or home condensed and potted.
1 pint of stock (rabbit stock idealy but chicken or pheasant will do!)
1 good sized onion.
1lb carrots sliced not peeled.
1 cricket ball sized turnip peeled and dixed
a pinch of garden herbs ,sage thyme,parsley chives.
half a jug of cider (half a pint)

joint the bird into four and toss in seasoned flour,then brown in a pan with the fat.remove to a casserole dish and deglaze the pan with the cider then add the remaining flour and herbs then pour over the bird in the casserole dish.
Now add the rest of the ingredients ,cover and cook in a moderate oven for an hour and a half.serve with red currant jelly.

hope this appeals to you folks,it realy is a nice change from wrapping in bacon and roasting!

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Oooo...I'm getting hungry now...pheasant with cider....
...as for the chilli....I have some beans soaking up as I type and plan was to make something VERY spicy and hot, some sort of chilli dish.
And...I have some 'elephant' beans...huge white ones...hmm..I could make beany meal with those......
....choices, choices...

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
can't believe too much pheasant is a problem?
My favourite is to pan fry the breasts with blackberry sauce and celeriac mash. cut the celeriac into small pieces and simmer in milk and a squeeze of lemon juice. Once cooked, drain (keeping the cooking milk) then mash to a nice smooth mash adding as much of the cooking milk as needed and season.
For the sauce blackberries, red wine, port, bit of thyme and seasoning. Cook together, reduce down to half/third,strain (if you're feeling refined) then whisk in some butter for a smooth sauce. keep a couple of blackberries to pop on the side. Lovely.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
You know you could always make a few bob by selling them to local members on here and go and buy yourself some beef:D

A pheasant is not worth any thing at all may be a quid each or some thing
do not kill the birds if you do not need so many

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Kong, judging by his post I think he is being given them. Shame to let them go to waste if they are shot already. Try buying a pheasant for a quid in the butchers, If they were that cheap I would be living off them as I love pheasant. Even if he sold them for £2 a pop, 5 x pheasant = 1 x roasting joint.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
lidles do frozen prepped birds for 7.99 each,at salisbury livestock market i have baught 40 birds for a tenner before now!god that was a bad day,prepping all those!

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Kong, judging by his post I think he is being given them. Shame to let them go to waste if they are shot already. Try buying a pheasant for a quid in the butchers, If they were that cheap I would be living off them as I love pheasant. Even if he sold them for £2 a pop, 5 x pheasant = 1 x roasting joint.

I have never brought a pheasant for money or even sold one I would be not very happy if I gave some one a bird for free and they then sold it he should just say if he dose not want it and some one else could have a chance to have them in stead

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Unfortunately in shootings there is always lot of birds which going rate is next to nothing..only the best 'undamaged' birds are kept back, processed and sold to make money..those that has shot holes in best meat or the dogs haven't been careful enough are considered as 'damaged meat'...usually given away or sold for beaters and hunters for 'pennies'.
I'm fortunate to have generous supply for these 'damaged' birds. I just cut the best bits for us and dog gets the rest and there is some left for friend's ferrets too. Nothing goes to waste.
The birds have been given me...I think it would be rude to sell or even give them away. I just might invite friend over a pheasant meal...

Last edited:

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Unfortunately in shootings there is always lot of birds which going rate is next to nothing..only the best 'undamaged' birds are kept back, processed and sold to make money..those that has shot holes in best meat or the dogs haven't been careful enough are considered as 'damaged meat'...usually given away or sold for beaters and hunters for 'pennies'.
I'm fortunate to have generous supply for these 'damaged' birds. I just cut the best bits for us and dog gets the rest and there is some left for friend's ferrets too. Nothing goes to waste.

yes that is exactly how it works here to

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....The birds have been given me...I think it would be rude to sell or even give them away. I just might invite friend over a pheasant meal...

Inviting a friend is good. Or maybe making a pheasant dish for your contribution to a potluck?

CPWSolf

Jul 5, 2010
Cumbria, UK
I miss pheasant!! Currently unable to shoot (new to area) and not got any coming to me :(.

MY top one:

Breasts of pheasant
Apples skinned, core and in chunks
Diced onions
Calvados/Apple Brandy (or nearest)
Salt
Pepper
Cream
Herbs of choice

Saute onions and apples in a frying pan then add the breasts (whole or strips) and herbs
once almost onions and apples are soft and pheasant is about cooked add calvados (generously)
Allow to burn off alcohol
Pour in cream
salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with mash

I haven't put measurements as I alter it depending on mood, what I have etc. Plus I am an (ex) chef not a baker so I have never measured.....TIP: don't eat any cakes I make

Chris

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I had pheasant last night for my supper im glad I had one because I did not have much food at all but managed to get a good meal to gether
I un zipped the bird and chopped up the meat then had som chopped chorizo and some manky veg which most people would chuck out which was onions garlic potato and carrot in a pan of hot butter then added dry cider to just cover it and left it to simmer with some herbs added in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE