Pewter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The set isn't worth much at all, it is also damaged and dented. No-one wants to use leaded metal for food. .....QUOTE]

Ah, yes, I do see what you mean :D

I have a beautiful cloak brooch made in the shape of an oak leaf. It's about 7cms long and it has been cast in pewter. It's really a lovely piece, and I'm sure other leaves could be used the same way. The fastening on the back is just a standard buy in a craft shop type. Could be fun to make, useful too.
I also have a cast pewter hinged bangle that has a knotwork design along it's length. Trickier but still do-able I'd have thought.

atb,
M

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Some types of bagpipes are traditionally decorated with inlaid pewter-work, its done just as Loz is planning.......have you got a moleskin yet?, I'm told thats what you need for wiped joints (which is like your technique )

Evil-bay quite often has lead-free plumbers solder for sale (that where I get my tin for casting), try to buy the largest quantity you can as the P&P can be horrible and don't get the flux-cored stuff..........and don't buy anything I'm bidding on :nana:

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
If you're casting pewter or other lead/tin alloys, use tallow to flux it. When melting the metal it oxidises and forms dross on the surface. A knob of tallow stirred into it will reduce the dross back to metal.

Jim

Good luck with it sounds like a nice project , most things have been coverd by everyone else apart from the slight shrinkage you get whenthe metal cools but if your casting into a dove tail it should be fine with a few drops of the old super glue so hold it :) dont forget to post some pics of the finished item Lolz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE