Petrol - stabilising

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
How can one stabilise Petrol for longer if one want to extend its normal lifespan?

And more importantly what are peoples actual experiences of doing this and adding agents and how long after were you able to use the Petrol?

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How can one stabilise Petrol for longer if one want to extend its normal lifespan?

And more importantly what are peoples actual experiences of doing this and adding agents and how long after were you able to use the Petrol?
There are a lot of issues in play here. The first one is that you often get a know it all popping up to say "it's illegal to store more than 30L of petrol at home". It isn't, you just have to inform the Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).

So I use a lot of petrol tools & can rip through 30L in short order. I have had certain power tools (notably a Toro professional mower) that have been stupidly fuel sensitive. Others far less so. My experience is that 4 stroke tools suffer more than 2 stroke tools & that fuel left in a tool goes off more quickly than that left in a can. Full airtight cans are best.

I now treat can with Stabil. I mark every can with the treatment date. It works well

Stabilised Petrol by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
If you double the dose of Sta-bil, as long as it’s in airtight containers it’ll last 2 years or even slightly more. You can safely use up to 4x the recommended dosage but I think after 2x the dosage you don’t get any additional benefit.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you double the dose of Sta-bil, as long as it’s in airtight containers it’ll last 2 years or even slightly more. You can safely use up to 4x the recommended dosage but I think after 2x the dosage you don’t get any additional benefit.

You tried this ? with success?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I did - it lasted I think just short of the 2 years and then went in my car during people panic-buying petrol for some reason or another a good few years back.

If I was doing it again I'd probably have say 4 cans and then use and refill one every 6 months.
People panic is what I'm anticipating.
Thanks

Falstaff

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Ah, lightbulb - Thanks, think I shall try some stabil. My new mower is very sensitive about petrol quality and the makers suggest draining the carbs if left for more than 2 weeks. My winning solution for many years with different mowers is to top up the tank before trying to start the mower.
I keep my petrol in a standard 5ltr can but with an old (very old) champagne cork in the spout, to prevent evaporation of the more volatile elements of the petrol. Seems to work.

Re storage against shortages - is this really viable? How much would you need to store to meet even short terms needs, my guess is quite a lot, unless its for a small say, generator.
Propane gas cylinders are easier and last quite a long time, you just need to get the right sort of machine/equipment that you envisage needing it for. If its for transport alone I'd say forget it. Even a small motorcycle uses quite a bit. If you envisage having to travel during a major shortage then you need an alternative contingency plan incl say, a bicycle. Covid was a classic example.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ah, lightbulb - Thanks, think I shall try some stabil. My new mower is very sensitive about petrol quality and the makers suggest draining the carbs if left for more than 2 weeks. My winning solution for many years with different mowers is to top up the tank before trying to start the mower.
I keep my petrol in a standard 5ltr can but with an old (very old) champagne cork in the spout, to prevent evaporation of the more volatile elements of the petrol. Seems to work.

Re storage against shortages - is this really viable? How much would you need to store to meet even short terms needs, my guess is quite a lot, unless its for a small say, generator.
Propane gas cylinders are easier and last quite a long time, you just need to get the right sort of machine/equipment that you envisage needing it for. If its for transport alone I'd say forget it. Even a small motorcycle uses quite a bit. If you envisage having to travel during a major shortage then you need an alternative contingency plan incl say, a bicycle. Covid was a classic example.

I kept a few jerry cans on rotation during I think the start of the Ukraine invasion , Literally the day I heard the incursion had occurred I went out and topped up few - nothing outrageous but it did provide a contingency buffer against the 'swell' when petrol stations did and didn't have petrol - I can't remember if that happened then but I do remember it happening during Covid. The rumour of petrol stations having a delivery and then suddenly a mad disorganised panic to que up en masse.

The few jerry cans I did have just allowed a bit of a mental relaxation against that - Is petrol available ? no , ok - no panic I'll top up from a Jerry can.

Need to go and see the elder some distance away ? - again - no panic , top up and bimble off.

I know to some there maybe an emotive side to this where its seen as hoarding - but is it? if one is doing it in normal 'good' times where logistical chains are working normally ( JITOS ) I could happily argue that I'm lessening the strain on the system by thinking ahead and proactively storing a small essential reserve - during good times.

Falstaff

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
like it, that's a sensible rotation basis. That way you don't have it in storage for very long. Stabil is probably going to be more use for me as I only need petrol for the mower. I recently found out I need a special funnel for modern diesels to open the anti siphon device. So presumably the black plastic diesel cans have the right spout?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I tried some stabilising stuff many years ago (not sure if it was stabil or something else now) and it seemed to work for some of my 4stroke tools, but others still didn't like it if left in the fuel tanks for more than a couple of months.

These days (and the last decade or more) I've been using Aspen fuel in all of my 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. The 2 stroke is ready mixed, so there is no chance of mixing it wrong or getting other contaminations. It's more expensive than petrol (works out at about £3.50 per litre) but it comes in 5L bottles that lasts for years, I've not known it go off yet. Even sat in the fuel tank of machines for several years it will start first time. No degradation of fuel lines, no varnishing of carburettors, less nasty fumes and the engines all run spot on. I've got lots of petrol engines around my gaff, ranging from chainsaws that get used once every couple of years to a welder that gets used several times a week. I just put some Aspen that I bought 6 years ago into a Honda engine on my grinder and haven't noticed any problems at all (to tanks full thus far)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

These days (and the last decade or more) I've been using Aspen fuel in all of my 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. The 2 stroke is ready mixed, so there is no chance of mixing it wrong or getting other contaminations. It's more expensive than petrol (works out at about £3.50 per litre) but it comes in 5L bottles that lasts for years, I've not known it go off yet. Even sat in the fuel tank of machines for several years it will start first time.
Not tried the 4 stroke stuff but definitely agree on the 2 stroke

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Don't use the new E10 fuel, too much ethanol in it, which attracts moisture. Super unleaded, i think its E5 has less and is more stable/last longer. As said above, add a fuel stabiliser to it and will last much longer. If you're using it for power tools, and you dont plan on using them for several months, run them completely dry before storage. Prevents all sorts of problems when you do need to use them again.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have used a stabilizer for winter storage mostly on E5 as that seems to fare better. Max storage time has been about 10 months so not really an endurance test. No problems so far all engines have started and run well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE