Peter Storm "No Sweat"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
No, but once I climbed ben koracken (sp?) in scotland with a couple of friends and one of them had a peter storm waterproof. I was amazed at how well the water shed off the jacket (it was new though) the weather was awful and good for testing waterproofs. On the top we had sideways rain and at the end of the day we were all wet, including me in my goretex xcr, but saying that I was quite impressed with my friends jacket .The material never got wetout.....................Jon

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
peter storms main product line used to be directed at the sailing community. their stuff used to be very highly regarded. i doubt much has changed in that regard.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I don't know why but whenever i see their stuff in shops i think 'cheap and cheerful', though i have never used anything of theirs apart from a T-shirt! it just looks tacky somehow, maybe it's their choice of colours...

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I think Peter Storm is of a quality that you would only use them for casual wear and not garments intened to take on seroius trips. If it is one found in a boat shop specifically designed for yachting, then it would be okay, but the more fashionable type items found in town shops may not be up to the same standard, a bit like the way Berghaus has gone. I used to have an over the head Peter Storm waterproof. It was strong but as it wasn't gore-tex, it made you sweat.

If you get a Peter Storm gore-tex, then it will work but you could probably get better for the money, or by adding a little extra.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Thanks for the info, guys. I have no intentions of ever buying Peter Storm, but I was just curious as to what others thought of it. And like you've all said, it's cheap stuff!

Adam

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Went to Ambleside a few weeks ago and it was constant rain, snow, sleet and hail for the 5 days we were there. :D
I wore Peter Storm boots and over-trousers. The boots leaked very badly and made for an uncomfortable hike. :(
I was extremely pleased and surprised with the trousers though. My mate was wearing Berghaus which cost 4 times as much as mine and his trousers underneath were wet at the end of a days hike. I was totally dry exept for the bottom of my trousers where the moisture had wicked up from my boot :(

The boots had been bought at short notice and were the best I could get at the time. They weren't a total waste though, they're quite sturdy and light and will make a good summer boot, but they just weren't up to the job of tackling those peaks in february!

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
Berghaus still make quality gear, my Mera Peak has proved itself many times, expensive, but its so well made. I would buy their stuff again no problem :)

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I've never used Berghaus myself so I can't really hold an opinion. From what I've heard they make very good packs though.

My mate got paid while we were in Ambleside and went mental in Gaynors, spending about £400 on Berghaus kit, with which he was very pleased. I thought it was hilarious though - everything he wore that day was Berghaus (and I do mean everything) He looked like something out of a catalogue :lmao:

He bought a bladder with a dodgy valve too and refused to drink water from it so he filled it with lucozade. He got some funny looks, dressed up like Captain Berghaus with bright orange liquid spilling out of his pack and spraying all over the mountains :lmao:

The name 'Captain Berghaus' has now stuck, much to his dismay :)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
It's part of the outdoor group (blacks millets) so is effectly their own brand of gear though I think they use karrimor in blacks. I've used the odd bit of stuff and know others who have used more. I'd rate it as well as regatta.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I have used Peter storm gear since the late eighties and find it very functional. I usually buy the over trousers for general use and have foud them to work well in most outdoors conditions for their quality. I also use thier range of base layer thermal layer for general use, again it is functional and does the job. Basically in the outdoor world you get what you pay for. I would not wear Peter Storm if I was out on an expedition but is great for the basic rambles around the mountains and lowlands. There are a lot better quality outdoor clothing brands than Berghause out there, you just need to do your homework.

In some cases, its the same product with a different label. Its rather like consumer products like soap powder, one company manufactures the soap powder and then the rest stick thier own extra into it and then re-package it. I used to buy the odd fleece from Culverhouse, these were excellent Malden Mills fleeces without the labels of the larger companies being branded onto them and at a fraction of the cost. Again you just need to shop around.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Very good points. Personally i think i'd buy clothing that was naturally cheaper, eg second hand, different system altogether, army surplus etc, rather than buy into a low cost brand that was trying to compete with the more established companies, but you're right to point out that which companies these actually are is not always obvious.

Berghaus is hardly top of the range, but they like people to think so, obviously. I have a £60 RG1 Aquafoil jacket of theirs. it is single layer, and acts like a rubbish soft shell! but i wear wool underneath it and it does the job - i don't get wet in the heaviest rain i've experienced on the big welsh hills in winter apart from when my own sweat comes into play. It is flexible, uncomplicated and i like it, but it's too small now :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE