Personal Survival Kit contents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Thinking about this logically ... to access the info on the SD card/Memory stick, you would need a laptop/PC ... or access to one, such as at a cyber-cafe, airport, consulate, hotel, etc ...

Therefore, taking it one step further ... use a scanner to make copies of passport, etc; then email your own hotmail/gmail/yahoo address with a list of important tel numbers and the scanned documents as attachments.

No SD card/E-drive to lose or get wet/choked with dust and sand, just find the nearest internet access, log-on to your account and it's all there.

Smart but the security levels on those sites are not exactly high and you might find out that someone has all your critical data and is doing a lot of shopping etc. with it...:eek:

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Red, nice idea with the sd card I shall probably do that.

I shall also keep my laminated copies though. I have experienced problems getting onto the Net in the USA, although PC's are mostly easy to get access to. If you start travelling adventurously though you will find that there are places where people have not seen a light bulb or indoor plumbing never mind a PC with t'internet. I personally do not hold up much hope for an AK toting militia man taking an SD card [even wrapped in a $50 note] as proof of my ID. For those that need further convincing of the paperwork required for international travel, just watch Long Way Down, they presented 5 big ring binders of docs to get thru Libyan, Gypo and Sudanese customs and I do not recall seeing many PC's around.

The ultimate civvy survival kit consists of three components:

1. Breitling emergency watch http://www.breitling.com/en/models/professional/emergency/

2. Motorola, Iridium 9505A Portable Satellite Phone

3. American Express, Black Card.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
For those that need further convincing of the paperwork required for international travel, just watch Long Way Down, they presented 5 big ring binders of docs to get thru Libyan, Gypo and Sudanese customs and I do not recall seeing many PC's around.

Alot of the paperwork were equipment lists and papers for them to take the equipment in.

Because they could be importing the equipment into the country, to sell, avoiding taxes and so on. So some countries like to ensure what goes in, comes out.

H

He' s left the building

... you might find out that someone has all your critical data and is doing a lot of shopping etc. with it...:eek:

Good point, but on the other hand I'm married so I'm used to someone doing a lot of shopping with my card details without me knowing about it!!!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I hand't really thought about this before, but carry a small SAK (one blade tweezers and toothpick) and an LED torch, (actually the BCUK mag freebie from January) on my keying and that goes everywhere. Does that count?

The other thing I hadn't thought about is that I cayy my FAK, large SAK, Silva "Student" compass and torch in a mess tin to protect them and kep thm dry, buts thats almost a PSK in its own right :)

I take my details on a single bit of paper cunningly disguised as something innocuous so as not to attract attention if it goes missing, last time I printed them on a small label and stuck it to my box of blood pressure tablets so it looked like batch information, but my wife has just bought me a medic alert bracelet and I think that they could go in there.

I don't like the SD card idea too much because if you view it in a cyber cafe it could get left in the cache (like Garry Glitter) stolen, or just as likely damaged or corrupted. Same deal with USB sticks. If it comes to needing those details then I would rather leave the copies with my brother and phone him to e-mail them if needed.

When things get tense the last thing I want to have to worry about is a bit o IT kit letting me down. :)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Alot of the paperwork were equipment lists and papers for them to take the equipment in.

Because they could be importing the equipment into the country, to sell, avoiding taxes and so on. So some countries like to ensure what goes in, comes out.

Yup, its called a Carnet d'passage [scuse bad french], effectively it is a passport for a piece of equipment. If you do not have it you can be required to pay taxes that you can then [try] to claim back when you leave the country.

But, if they could have had it on an SD or XD or Stick they would have, you cannot beat paper with officials.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red, nice idea with the sd card I shall probably do that.

I shall also keep my laminated copies though. I have experienced problems getting onto the Net in the USA, although PC's are mostly easy to get access to. If you start travelling adventurously though you will find that there are places where people have not seen a light bulb or indoor plumbing never mind a PC with t'internet. I personally do not hold up much hope for an AK toting militia man taking an SD card [even wrapped in a $50 note] as proof of my ID. For those that need further convincing of the paperwork required for international travel, just watch Long Way Down, they presented 5 big ring binders of docs to get thru Libyan, Gypo and Sudanese customs and I do not recall seeing many PC's around.

The ultimate civvy survival kit consists of three components:

1. Breitling emergency watch http://www.breitling.com/en/models/professional/emergency/

2. Motorola, Iridium 9505A Portable Satellite Phone

3. American Express, Black Card.
I guess that depends where you go :D

My stuff is UK based. The worst I have encountered is someone clad in head to toe cammo carrying a .308 LSR. However the password

"wotcha Nigel - hows the cull going?"

was greeted with the correct response

"not bad Red - got your brew kit with yah?"

There followed a ritual exchange of food and drink, inducements were given (PG tips) in exchange for local produce (with the hoof removed)

Red ;)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I don't like the SD card idea too much because if you view it in a cyber cafe it could get left in the cache (like Garry Glitter) stolen, or just as likely damaged or corrupted. Same deal with USB sticks. If it comes to needing those details then I would rather leave the copies with my brother and phone him to e-mail them if needed.

When things get tense the last thing I want to have to worry about is a bit o IT kit letting me down. :)

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09/05/review_ironkey/ .

Well I think the best is to use as many options as possible, leave copies with your brother and carry a secure usb device.

Gary Glitter took his laptop into PCWorld for a repair, thats how he was caught.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Red is it ok to use everyday superglue for wounds? i had been lead to beleve the superglue
for medical use was difrent from everyday superglue which contains something else.

Here is the "short" answer:

Although cyanoacrylate glues were useful on the battlefield, the FDA was reluctant to approve them for civilian use. In part, this was due to a tendency of the early compounds (made from "methyl-2-cyanoacrylate") to irritate the skin as the glue reacted with water and cured in the skin, releasing cyanoacetate and formaldehyde. A compound called "butyl-2-cyanoacrylate" was developed to reduce toxicity, but suffered from brittleness and cracking a few days after application. Finally an improved cyanoacrylate glue was developed for medical applications called "2-octyl-cyanoacrylate." This compound causes less skin irritation and has improved flexibility and strength--at least three times the strength of the butyl-based compound (reference 2). As a result, in 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions, and in 2001 approved it for use as a "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli" (reference 2). This latest incarnation was marketed under the name Traumaseal as well as the more popular Dermabond.

Cyanoacrylate glues also find use in medicine for orthopedic surgery, dental and oral medicine (marketed as Soothe-n-Seal), veterinary medicine (Nexaband), and for home use as Band Aid brand Liquid Bandage. It even has been explored as a potential treatment for emphysema, where it can be used to seal off diseased lung passages without the need for invasive surgery.

Is it safe to use ordinary household cyanoacrylate glue as a medical glue? According to Reference 7, most cyanoacrylate glues not designed specifically for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns. I gather this is a problem only if a large area of skin is affected. But to err on the side of safety, you should tell your brother-in-law he should only use medically-approved glue, not the ordinary kind. And always be careful using it--I know families are supposed to stick together, but there are limits.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
CONDOM (ribbed for pleasure)

A tip for that one, wear it inside out! You get all of the pleasure!

:D

Back on topic, I do have my military survival tin that I had to carry, and I take it along and have apoke around in it now and then. People like seeing survival kits for the "Oooh, that's a good bit of kit" factor. If I ever had to use it, things have gone very wrong and trying to catch a rabbit would be the last of my worries! I can find alternative uses for most of the things in the tin though, so it isn't a total waste of space to carry it.

As for a tin to boil water in, look around the woods these days. There are glass bottles everywhere, use them!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I used a Lofty Wiseman kit that I bought. Then I realised that that kit was just cashing in on his name and is absolute tat! So, I started to get bits and bobs and constructed my own. I had a similar kit for first aid made from the two FAK blister sets that are issued in times of deployment. There were lots of drugs that could be self administered as well as bandages and plasters. Both were in my webbing that some swine stole in Kitchener barracks in Chatham.

After that, I started to construct my own from scratch. I used a dems coupling tin, slightly larger than a 'baccy tin with a hinged lid.. I got the normal paraphernalia and packed it in with cotton wool. I left the magnifying glass out last time in preference to a fresnel lense similar to the one that Neanderthal showed me. I was sold when this little piece of plastic started a fire with some buffed dry tinder at a Delamere meet earlier in the year. Every now and then I open it up and have a root through, it's fun packing it all back in!

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
When you mention paracord, what kind of length? I generally bring 25ft, though 50 is better when bulk / weight is not so much of an issue. The stuff has so many potential uses.

Also a couple of 50-gal drum liners.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
My reason for carrying a PSK is more like when I go to a really desolate place (that's what I really like.) Especially solo. Say Canada or Norway. The kind of vacation where you have to notify someone when you will be back... or else they have to come looking for you.

I choose for a kit that weighs approx 150 grams, that WILL go and stay in the hip pockets of my trousers.

Potassium Permanganate Cristal's are so light and small (you only need half a gram.) I do not want to put in a mini bottle of iodine or something else.

Some local money sounds like a good idea

Walking around in the dark is something I don't try, so no Photon for me. One could make a torch if you needed some light. I keep everything as tiny as possible. The ONLY use I see for this kit is when I loose my backpack. The whole PSK is extra, extra and again extra. Especially the First Aid Kit. So no need to rob it, or I should reconsider my basic gear.

I will not take this kit on day trips in Holland..

Closing a wound yourself might be a bit tricky. Personally I would never close a wound with dirt or blood in it.

A big part of making your own Survival Kit is fun also of course :). Ask Spamel.

I think my list is quite comprehensive, but no further additions???

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
In the UK -

Only real situation I need a suvival kit is in the mountains and in winter.

Material items
Water, food, warmth, light. Main issue is sheltering my body from the elements. Can walk out in a day to a blacktop.

Psyhcology
Think, navigate, efficient movement

Abroad -
Cash, Mobile, Passport, Ins. docs. Main issue is language barrier.

Nick

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
When you mention paracord, what kind of length? I generally bring 25ft, though 50 is better when bulk / weight is not so much of an issue. The stuff has so many potential uses.

Also a couple of 50-gal drum liners.

I am not sure still to be honest. Probably only a few ft, because of it's weight.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
Here is the "short" answer:

Although cyanoacrylate glues were useful on the battlefield, the FDA was reluctant to approve them for civilian use. In part, this was due to a tendency of the early compounds (made from "methyl-2-cyanoacrylate") to irritate the skin as the glue reacted with water and cured in the skin, releasing cyanoacetate and formaldehyde. A compound called "butyl-2-cyanoacrylate" was developed to reduce toxicity, but suffered from brittleness and cracking a few days after application. Finally an improved cyanoacrylate glue was developed for medical applications called "2-octyl-cyanoacrylate." This compound causes less skin irritation and has improved flexibility and strength--at least three times the strength of the butyl-based compound (reference 2). As a result, in 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions, and in 2001 approved it for use as a "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli" (reference 2). This latest incarnation was marketed under the name Traumaseal as well as the more popular Dermabond.

Cyanoacrylate glues also find use in medicine for orthopedic surgery, dental and oral medicine (marketed as Soothe-n-Seal), veterinary medicine (Nexaband), and for home use as Band Aid brand Liquid Bandage. It even has been explored as a potential treatment for emphysema, where it can be used to seal off diseased lung passages without the need for invasive surgery.

Is it safe to use ordinary household cyanoacrylate glue as a medical glue? According to Reference 7, most cyanoacrylate glues not designed specifically for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns. I gather this is a problem only if a large area of skin is affected. But to err on the side of safety, you should tell your brother-in-law he should only use medically-approved glue, not the ordinary kind. And always be careful using it--I know families are supposed to stick together, but there are limits.

I have already covered this, modern medical skin tissue glue is not the same as over the counter cyno super glue.
Even if you do have some Med Glue DO NOT do it your self as there is a technique you have to use and the wound has to be sterile first.
All this about stiching yourself up is for Hollywood and Rambo wannabes, if you have an interest in this sort of stuff book on a medics course and learn about it propoly, like I did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE