permethrin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I wasn't too happy about soaking my kit in Insectiside before reading this thread, I'm def not doing it now. A friend with MS is about to borrow a hammock for a week and I may have treated it before lending. I'm thinking that MS and a chemical that potentially damages the myelin sheath isn't a very good combination!

Your info Ed is very timely, thanks.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I use the long lasting permethrin nomad travel sell last 6 wks on clothing if i remember correctly, i have a army coverall i cover in the stuff and wear it to walk down to the beach i use, as there are alot of ferns and alot of ticks,once on the beach off it comes,before i used it i found ticks on my clothing after walking through the ferns,since using none,thats good enough for me to keep using it,i hate ticks the ruin a trip out for me worrying about getting covered in them.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
permethrin you will very, very dilute - trust me less than 100ml of pure stuff will wipe out the insect fauna of miles of river - so the health risks are pretty minimal but... Personally, in the UK I'd find a safer repellent. Also worth noting that it may have synergistic reactions with other chemicals etc..

If however, I was to go to the jungle / high risk insect transmitted disease are that would be a whole different kettle of fish. One potential risk versa a very real risk.

Best way to avoid the dreaded McMidge (that said we get them at home) is go out with a bigger, sweatier friend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE