permethrin clothing treatment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Due to the large number of ticks people are coming across and the recent thread by Shewie i thought id look for a prevention to the little swines

and i came across this site and ordered some permethrin clothing spray and some deet body spray,

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/browse/avoiding-bites

It says about permethrin that any insect or tick that comes into contact with treated clothing dies immediately,which suits me,although the stuff itself has some down sides (i googled the stuff and its pretty toxic) i will only be using it on my trousers from the knee down as this i feel is where im most likely to get a tick attaching, just wondering if anyone else has used it and what do they think.(i think its the active ingrediant in the stuff used for dogs to stop them getting ticks, it is apparently very toxic to aquatic life and cats)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Id heard that about deet but in the past ive used the 100 % stuff when i used to do airsofting(many years ago) id cover meself (head/hands/neck/etc)in it but it never marked the guns in anyway(made of plastic)must depend on the type of plastic as it comes in a plastic bottle.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
In Central Brazil we have tick and chigger infestations of biblical proportions during dry season. I was once bitten 150+ times by chiggers on a three day survival training exercise. I now treat my clothes (100%) with Sawyer military clothing treatment (permethrine) and use DEET on my lower legs, belly/waist, wrists, and neck. On a return trip at the same time of year to the same area I got no bites, as in (0) zero. I had no adverse reaction to the permethrine.

I once took a large tick and put him on the sleeve of my jacket. He was walking around happy as ever trying to bite through the cloth. I was thinking, "This stuff isn't working!" All of a sudden he started acting confused, curled up and died... DIED I TELL YOU! He was a late tick, a former bloodsucker, he was an ex-monster. I was a walking WMD. Mac

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
It used to melt the fore-end and pistol grip of the SA80.Maybe it only affects cheap plastic.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
From the Wiki...

"...permethrin is believed to have very low if any toxicity in humans. Military personnel training in malaria-endemic areas may be instructed to treat their uniforms with permethrin as well. An application should last several washes."

That has been my experience. The permethrine actually binds to the cotton fibers so there is very little transference to your skin. I would go ahead and treat your entire outfit. I normally do my BDU pants, long sleeve T-shirt, sock tops, and BDU jacket. I've used both the DURANON spray and the Sawyer clothing treatment and both worked well although the Sawyer gave better coverage.

Getting 150+ bites is no fun. The first night I was itching/burning so bad I didn't sleep. The second night I was so exhausted I did sleep after about 3 AM but it was miserable. I get most chigger bites around my lower legs and belt line so I DEET up those areas well.

Mac

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Didn't realise that Permethrin dissolves plastic as well, I know that DEET does it quite effectively (just look at the steering wheel of the Mrs car...)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers Pict most helpfull, wil give my gear a spray for when im up around Glen Coe next weekend to see if it keeps things that crawl and fly away from me.Im tarping it so this should be a test.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using that Nomad stuff for about two years Andy and I've managed to stay clear so far. It says it'll last up to two weeks on one application but I top it up most days in the field aswell.
I was waist deep in bracken in Sika territory up on the west coast a couple of weeks ago and didn't find any on me.
I believe it's the same stuff they use on the treated hammocks & mossie nets etc.

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Permethrin dissolves plastic? then my Tarps Hammocks and other gear all must be figments of my imagination as I have been using the Sawyer brand for years

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE