Permanent survival shelter building?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 31, 2024
Derby
My name is Raj, and I am from 43 from Derby.

I decided to join the BushcraftUK forums because I was looking to learn bush crafting skills, and maybe find local people to learn from.

I am looking to learn how to build a campfire, how to build basic shelters, mud bricks, kiln, wood shelters, fishing and anything else when it comes to survival, foraging and building.

I've been watching so much bush crafting YouTube videos but I really need to learn by doing.

I tried looking for local places but the closest place is hard to get to if you don't drive and its just 1 day courses. I'm open to volunteering for a position if I can learn these skills. If anyone has any information, recommendations or anyway they could help, I would be much appreciated. Thank you and nice to meet you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello Raj,
I copied your post here and edited it a little to be easier to read. Also changed title.
Questions like yours are easily overlooked in the Intro area. People assume threads are just folk saying hello.

There are several aspects of your post to unpack;
  1. what you are asking to learn,
  2. why you want to learn or think you need to learn,
  3. Looking for a place to practice and people to learn from
  4. Your location and mobility.
Finding places to practice fire making and shelter building, legally, is probably the greatest challenge people face in learning bushcraft skills. There is no simple answer. There are lots of posts across this forum from people looking for places, and plenty of advice, but it boils down to finding a land owner and asking permission. Being able to offer something in return is useful. Also, the land owner needs to know you are not going to destroy their property. Cutting, digging and burning are harder to accept compared to leave no trace camping.

Doing that without driving is going to be tough. Do you cycle, or are you limited to public transport?

Learning fire craft is pretty basic and while a course can teach a bit I agree you need to practice more.

The shelter building is an interesting one. There are lots of “bushcraft” videos on YouTube showing people building all sorts of semi permanent shelters. Many from Asia are fake, just done for clicks and make YouTube money. Many others have been filmed for clicks and because someone has a place, and why not. Doesn’t mean it’s a particularly useful skill.

Quite a lot of folk have romantic ideas about going to live in the woods in the event of society collapse or something. We generally don’t subscribe to that view here, for the UK at any rate.

Lots of threads about “survival” fishing in the UK. Short version is that in fresh water almost every “survival” method would be considered illegal, and without licence and permit, poaching. It is usually a good idea to delve into why a person is asking to learn fishing or trapping methods. It is possible to learn about fish through study, observing, and legal angling…and learn the skills of making primitive fishing gear and net making, without the illegal bit of combining them.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Further thought.

In the UK, more useful bushcraft skills are:
Navigation
Efficient movement over rough ground,
Plant identification
Tarpology,
Knots
Safe use of cutting tools
Tracking

Reactions: Garnett

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Everyone would love to have a suitable woodland within walking distance but the realities are very much different. If you don't drive as you say then getting to any location is going to be problematic.

If you really want to start gaining knowledge your best bet is to start by hanging around with other Bushcrafters, knowledge will just naturally come when you see them doing tasks and you can always ask for guidance.

I am a member of a Facebook group called "Beehive Bushcraft Leicestershire". The woodland owner there allows Bushcrafters to use his woods for £15 a night I think it was though it's very popular so you will always find people there to share knowledge with.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hi @NewbieDerby
Welcome.

You seem to be taking your first steps into Bushcraft. Just like a newcomer to any learning process you almost certainly have your eye on the ultimate - possibly even off Grid living.
Like all learning it’s going to take time and some effort but if your path is taking you to one of the many many different forms of bushcraft then you will enjoy the effort. If you don’t enjoy it, there are lots of associated hobbies you could take up.

There is a lot that you can do from home.

Do you have access to a small garden area ( with permission. Start as you mean to go on.)
Have you slept out in the open? No tent, just a foam pad and a couple of duvets if you haven’t got a sleeping bag yet. You can always go indoors if it should rain but you’d check the weather anyway. Do that a few times and see how you get on. Warning - it’s addictive :)

How well do you know the area where you live? It doesn’t matter whether it’s mostly trees or mostly tarmac. Do you have a map of the area? Do you have a compass? (Your phone has a compass for your first experiments.). Learn to use them. Find places that you’ve never been before.

What phase is the moon at right now? When is sunset today? When will it be dark? Those are two different things! Get used to knowing the sun and moon. Take an interest in weather signs, clouds and wind directions for your locality.

Do you have a small knife of any sort. I certainly wouldn’t buy anything expensive. Just grab a stick and start shaving flakes from it. No need to make anything. Just enjoy using the tool. Warning - it’s addictive :)
Buy a cheap sharpening stone and learn to sharpen your knife. Again, don’t spend a lot of money at this stage. I’ve just been whittling with a Morrisons 6cm fruit knife that cost £3.25.

Is there a park or street planting within walking distance? How many of the local trees do you recognise? Which ones would make a good fire (in theory.)

I don’t think that you can light a big fire in most built up areas but a bean tin with lots of holes drilled into the lower half and raised on a tin plate on three stones will let you practice fire lighting: first with matches and cardboard, later with a ferrocerium rod and tinder. (But hey, there is nothing wrong with matches)

You can probably think up some much better ideas for yourself. Take a few baby steps and let us know how you get on.
The BIG thing that you will learn is what questions to ask to take you to your personal route through bushcraft. You will never know it all, none of us do.

You aren’t alone in this site and someone here knows the answers.

Very best of luck.
Pat.

Edited to add:
I’ve never been on a course but I’ve read a lot and it’s still taken me more than seventy years to get where I am.
P

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There are so many "arms" of bushcraft. Learning to forage in your area is a good start. Even in towns and cities there is plenty to find. Get a good foraging book and make a start on learning to forage your locality.
I can recommend river cottage handbook no 7 Hedgerow by John Wright. With that in yor hand and a container or two, you will be able to collect and use your local resources.
If you have a garden, that is a good place to start learning firecraft and shelter building with a tarp , a bit of parracord and some sticks. Carve your own tent pegs.
If you don't have a garden you will need to be able to get on a bus or train to a more suitable area nearby. You don't need to go miles. Get an ordinance survey map of your area, and while you are at it a basic compass, and have a look at where it might be possible to get a day out, or camp overnight. You might be surprised. Can you get hold of a pushbike to help you explore further afield? A f9lding bike could be taken on buses and trains to a jump off point to get nearer to wilder areas.
I'm a dyed in the wool South westerner, so don't know your area, but I too no longer have transport, so I know how difficult it can be. Especially as im about 25 miles from the nearest transport hub, coach or train.Have you got a mate with a car who might want to join your adventures and drive you both?
I have a friend who I pay petrol and a bit extra for time to get me places and come pick me up a few days later, within about 60- 80 miles. That's my limit though! Can't afford much more.
Have fun getting out there and learning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE