Permanent outdoor camp at home!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I'm back home from uni for the summer but because I am really allergic to my parents house (it makes me very asthmatic from pets and dust) I have decided to spend the summer under my 3x3 tarp in the garden - mostly to see if i'm able to do permanent outdoor living!!

I'll still be using the house in the day, but I'll spend as many nights as I can, rain or shine, over the next 3 months under this tarp.

IMG_0786_zpsr8obrlrg.jpg

I've been able to afford a few luxuries since this is a more permanent camp. And old Safari camp bed, with self inflating mat on top and a cotton sleeping bag on top of that, to sleep on top of. Then is my synthetic sleeping bag, then an army wool blanket, then a tartan wool blanket. The groundsheet is an IPK, then a foam mat with a lavvu half on top because I prefer the feel of canvas to plastic.

I slept really well last night with this setup and am looking forward to see how it handles rain.

IMG_0785_zpssxecbzrj.jpg

IMG_0787_zpsr92fkco8.jpg

I'll probably update this over the next few months with stuff I cook over the fire pit, possible camp furniture I might make and how the setup handles rain.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I understand what it's like.
When I was a kid (ohhh, so long ago) I was just know for being a snotty child. It's only later on that I realised that a dusty 1900's house, cats and dogs and coal fires. After I moved out, I realised it was all alergies.
As a kid, you accept things as normal, and but no-ne thought about that sort of thing in the 70's.

If you can also fin an excuse to sleep out, even better!
(If my garden/lawn were not overrun with slugs, I'd probably do the same.)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Looks great, I did something like this for a month last year in my local woodland, one tip I would give (after a few nights getting wet feet/head) try and create a more "enclosed" set up, I know it's nice to be in the open, but it really makes it feel more "homey" when it's a bit more enclosed, plus, if it's windy and raining, then it's likely you'll get wet at the edges of your set up! Plus, if you get a nice candle lantern or storm lantern then its lovely sitting in your own space reading a good book by candle light.

Have fun!

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

I understand what it's like.
When I was a kid (ohhh, so long ago) I was just know for being a snotty child. It's only later on that I realised that a dusty 1900's house, cats and dogs and coal fires
If you can also fin an excuse to sleep out, even better!
(If my garden/lawn were not overrun with slugs, I'd probably do the same.)

My parents house is exactly the same, edwardian with a dog and coal and wood fires. I get it worst with cats. My friend has two and I cant stay at hers for more than half an hour without looking like I'm in the middle of a monster cold and needing an inhaler every half an hour!

but really you're right - any excuse to sleep out! Waking up this morning was wonderful! The slug problem is why I opted for a raised camp bed.

Scotty thanks I'll look into the periactin/cyproheptadine.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Looks great, I did something like this for a month last year in my local woodland, one tip I would give (after a few nights getting wet feet/head) try and create a more "enclosed" set up, I know it's nice to be in the open, but it really makes it feel more "homey" when it's a bit more enclosed, plus, if it's windy and raining, then it's likely you'll get wet at the edges of your set up! Plus, if you get a nice candle lantern or storm lantern then its lovely sitting in your own space reading a good book by candle light.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice! As I'm only 50m from the house i can take stuff in to dry if it gets wet which is nice. The tarp has a fair bit of overhang and the pictures make it look more open than it is but I'll see how it does in the rain and make some small walls at the open head and feet sides for rain from whatever I can find in the garden if it needs it. I have the tarp tent in my avatar if I get sick of the openness but for now I prefer the space the tarp gives.

There are a few storm lanterns in the house so I might borrow one! I'm excited to see how over the weeks the setup will develop and hopefully become really homely.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks like a lovely place to sleep :D

I think though, it might not be a bad idea to play around with tarp configurations….the baker tent idea for instance.
You have the space, the time, the opportunity, so y'know ? worth a shot :) especially if it gets wet and windy.

You are very lucky to be able to do this without a net of some kind, or keeping a smokey fire going. I'd be eaten alive with midgies and clegs :sigh:

I reckon that hearth will be a focus you'll play with too :) Do you have clay soil nearby that you can 'build' stuff with ? A clay covered willow or hazel woven oven is a very good thing indeed :D

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I think though, it might not be a bad idea to play around with tarp configurations….the baker tent idea for instance.
You have the space, the time, the opportunity, so y'know ? worth a shot :) especially if it gets wet and windy.

You always put things better than i do :D

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
+1 for the enclosed idea. Rumor has it it rains in Scotland! Hang the DD across the diagonal and get a bit more material to make 4 times 1.5 metre squares. These are used to make beaks and will enclose the bed space when needed, folded away when not. OR get a DD 4X4 the extra space is so worth it.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I'll give the baker tent a try though i'm not sure how it'll work with the raised camp bed space wise, we'll see!

I'm not currently in Scotland but am at my parents house in Dorset. Though personally I think the 'it always rains in Scotland' thing to be a myth. It is true that scotland is often grey and damp, but the rain is more like falling mist and is rarely anything more than a drizzle, often not even needing proper waterproofs.
On the other hand, I have found the south coast, especially cornwall, to get very heavy short downpours. In the year of being in Scotland I don't think I've seen it rain as heavy as a cornish summer!!

Anyway I'll let this shelter weather a few rainstorms and modify accordingly! I'm also planning on making a canvas bivvy (i'll post the making process in another thread) which will help with the rain!

bearbait

You may find that a setup such as the Adirondack Windshed (square tarp set up on a diamond shape; Google or YouTube are your friends) will give you enough sides for extra shelter, plus some overhang at the front too.

I use that particular setup as a cooking/dining/admin area when camping in a...errrrrrr...tent.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
it rains in Scotland
I did not say Always!
But most anywhere in the UK, we get rain at the most awkward moments.
That Adirondack will only be 5 foot tall and may not offer much cover if the Wind/Rain shifts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE