Perfect Expedition Tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I am looking for the perfect 2 man expedition tent for taking on canoe expeditions to Canada and Finland. Ideally free standing with midge nets getting pegs to hold on the Canadian Shield is an art.

I'm not after the latest ultra light fabric. My gear gets proper use and needs to be durable but light enough not to eat all my baggage allowance.

Budget £300 - £500

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would look at the Vaude Mark series of tents, not the lightest on the market, but they erect really fast, pitch inner/outer together, are free standing, and extremely weather proof. Excellent tents.

J

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
And the good thing about Vaude tents that is often lacking in other brands is smooth poles rather than collars at each joint. Makes a massive difference!! Really miss my one.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'm watching this with interest as having only last week assisted in the packing of my Daughter's rucksack ahead of her 1st DoE trip which included my Millets closeout bargain tent, I was truly shocked at a; the bulk (don't you just hate those horrible integral plastic tarpaulin ground sheets) and b; - the unbelievable weight of the poles which took total pack weight over the 2 stone limit!

K

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Wayne,

On my first trip canoeing in Scotland, the Knoydart lochs, Jed Yarnold and Dave Goodworth shared a Vaude MkIII which seemed good. Jed spends a lot of time on canoe trips and expeditions and might have some good advice.

While in New Zealand, the guide I had down on the edge of Fjordland used an MSR Mutha Hubba and said he really rated it highly. Much of South Island is a thinly covered shingle bank and the parts that Gordy guided on are noted for the volume of rain they receive. It seemed a light package, compared to my Vaude Taurus (oldish) and looking at the catalogue shows that although its an inner first, it can be pitched with either liner or fly separate, or both together, which seems like a really nice option to have.

Not really sure what the terrain where you are going will be like, but I have really enjoyed using a hammock on canoe trips in Norway and Sweden. Was lining up on one to the Canadian Shield and it looked hammock suitable too. If there are enough trees they seem to work very well.

Good luck :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I bought a Vango Chinook for the same reasons, but for use canoeing in northern Scotland where often the best places to camp are on sand and shingle beaches.

I bought the Chinook 200 (2 person) as a solo tent and it gives plenty of space for me, but you would want to be good friends if you were sharing it with another adult.

Cheers, Michael.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Some thoughts on tent design:

- Any tent that is inner first is not a good idea. You're going to end up soaking the inner if you have to put the tent up in heavy rain. Why such a design is so pervasive still amazes me.
- Tents that require you to thread a pole through a sleeve always struck me as a poor design trying to put up such a tent in high winds, you end up doing battle with a sail. This is the most common design as it's relatively easy to design, but when the wind picks up it leaves itself wanting.

This is the reason I settled on the Vaude tents. I have the old design hogan, with the exoskeleton pole design. It's so fast to put up, it's survived storms that have levelled campsites. It's only flaw is the weight. I'm looking at the Vaude Mark L 2P. I'd love to go for the much lighter sphærio 2p, but they don't make it in green.

J

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Good point re inner first. Common in US tents, possibly because of the predictability of the summer weather. Pretty useless in the western UK though. Pole sleeves are another matter. For a cross pole tent I agree, but for tunnel tents, sleeved poles work well. Think Akto e.g. There is a well known youtube vid of one being assembled in 85 mph wind.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had a look at some of the new MSR offerings, thinking they were purely inner-first, and saw them showing how (at least some) could be pitched that way OR outer first, which looked really nice. I thought that the Vaude outer-first method was great, but I have had times in the Lake District when the inside of the shell was sopping wet from condensation, which has promptly transferred to the inner when the tent was deflated. Would have been able to keep the inner drier had I been able to strip the fly off separately.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Here's some photos"

tent_wedge_01_1_400x0.jpg

tent_wedge_02.jpg

[h=3]Wedge Tent[/h] Basically evolved from a tarp thrown over a rope. Its steep sides make it an excellent choice where heavy rain or snow loads may be a problem. Easily pitched between two trees, sheer poles or what have you. Long a favorite with the dog sledder, trap liner, etc. This tent features a heavy duty nylon zipper clear to the peak on each end which zips down from the top as well as up from the bottom to accommodate a ridge pole and provide ventilation. This arrangement also allows one side to be raised as an awning and admit the warmth of a camp fire. Add stove pipe hole and a small woodstove and you have one of the most versatile year-around tents going.

Each tent is made to order with just the options you choose which can include (but not limited to) Sod cloth, windows and stove pipe hole. As each tent is made to order please allow 4-6 weeks for production. Production times may vary if you have questions please call or email.
Details: 8'6" x 8'6" floor size, 7' height 20 lbs.
Cat. No. W0990
8'6" x 11'6" floor size, 7' height 25 lbs
Cat. No. W0912
Price: $435.00/$525.00

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably a Miner's Tent is closer to your weight requirements though

miner_400x0.jpg

Miner%20tent%202_175x175.jpg

Ed%20Johnson%20miner_175x175.JPG

[h=3]Miner Tent[/h] Once popular with the Klondikers and 49ers, it is now a favorite with river runners and outfitters. The easiest of all our tents to put up. Stake the corners and raise the peak with a pole or rope over a limb. The river rats use one 8' or two 9' or 10' oars for poles (as shown). Due to a complete lack of vertical sides it is by far the most stable tent in a high wind.

Each tent is made to order with just the options you choose which can include (but not limited to) Sod cloth, windows and stove pipe hole. As each tent is made to order please allow 4-6 weeks for production. Production times may vary if you have questions please call or email.
Details: 8'6" x 8'6" floor size, 8' height 20 lbs.
Cat. No. M0990 Base price $360.00

11'6" x 11'6" floor size, 9' height 25 lbs.
Cat. No. M1212 Base price $450.00.

Price: $360.00/$450.00

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I had a look at some of the new MSR offerings, thinking they were purely inner-first, and saw them showing how (at least some) could be pitched that way OR outer first, which looked really nice. I thought that the Vaude outer-first method was great, but I have had times in the Lake District when the inside of the shell was sopping wet from condensation, which has promptly transferred to the inner when the tent was deflated. Would have been able to keep the inner drier had I been able to strip the fly off separately.

I believe you can pitch the outer separate on the Vaude tents, but often it's just easier to pitch inner/outer together.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Probably a Miner's Tent is closer to your weight requirements though
The easiest of all our tents to put up. Stake the corners and raise the peak with a pole or rope over a limb. The river rats use one 8' or two 9' or 10' oars for poles (as shown). Due to a complete lack of vertical sides it is by far the most stable tent in a high wind.

Doesn't meet the original requirement regarding free standing.

J

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The only fully free standing (including the vestibule) tents I have seen are Hilleberg and way over budget unless you consider renting one.

I'd go for a Vaude Mark L 3P which is a good size for two plus gear, is mostly free standing, good with wind from every direction, has the option to pitch inner and outer together or outer first, is very easy to ventilate, has decent poles, has two entrances and is in budget.

As much as I love my MSR NX tents, they are very lightweight and i fear damage, they are also inner first... so I have tried outer first using the footprint but wouldn't bother in anything less than perfect conditions which is exactly when you don't need to do it.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
True, I missed that bit. Maybe the possibility of using the canoe paddles for support makes that less important? It still would need pegs though.

I think Wayne wants it to be as free standing as possible without pegs for when camping on rocky outcrops near Canadian rivers/lakes.

The Vaude Mark tents do need a peg at each end for the porch, but you could just use a bolder, and if it's not too stormy, just leave it unpegged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE