Pentagon Molle Light Torch LM1-BK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi All
Just wondering if anyone knows if it’s available anywhere here in the UK.
Everywhere I look all I can find is out o stock.
If not I’ve got an old AA Maglite doing nowt I could upgrade,so has anyone tried the combo 1 watt LED bulb and tail button upgrade ?, worth the cash?

A kit junkie's christmas upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers Tiger Stacker.
I did have a look at the Energizer and it looked OK to me but my buddy just slaged there stuff off, said there stuff was all crap?
So I went back to looking for a Pentagon, which could be just as bad come to think of it but cheers all the same Bro.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Maglite upgrades: Ive had the tailcap and several bulb upgrades, dont go for the cheap ones, go for high wattage, you can always turn down with tailcap

this is the best one, 3W upgrade
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TerraLUX-Mi...68MK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351103366&sr=8-2

the one is the black bucket shaped upgrade bulb is extremely naff
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NITE-IZE-UP...R6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1351103366&sr=8-14
dont get this

i also went for a maglite led version, and an aldi 3w

but i always come back to maglite original plus upgardes
i have the head strap, coloured lenses and glow stick attachment as well

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Just reading through the Energiser description and features and the 1 meter waterproof and 8 hours run time is begininng to sound pretty good to me.
The only thing I thought was a bit naff about the Pentagon was the compass in the tail cap.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Surefire sued Pentagonlight, and put them out of business.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
As above. Pentagon have not traded for a couple of years now. Shame because their Molle lights were great for the money.
I believe Fenix do something similair with a swivel head but they are more expensive. I've been looking to get one to review for our Field Engineers at work. They currently have the Molle lights like you are after but after a couple of years of abuse and some of the guys losing theirs they need something similiar in size that takes AA batteries.
Fenix MC10 might suit your needs?..

ATB
Simon

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers neoaliphant.
I was beginning to get lost with all the Maglite options and upgrades available a TerraLUX it is then.

Hey Jared.
I did begin to wonder if they had gone under as most "all" the places I looked at were out o stock, screwed by surefire; I wonder what that was all about then? CASH prob.

Hi cbr6fs.
I really wanted a hands free torch I could just clip on to the front of my shirt for night fishing, I’m sick o biting on to the end of my Gerber recon and drooling down it every time I need to tie on a hook or whatever.
But I must admit I did like the look o it, or should I say I didn’t know I needed it untill Id seen it.

I have an old school Pro Duo type halogen pretzel head torch “waterproof spelunkers type“ I bought for canoeing but it’s a bit heavy on the old batteries and heavy to wear, perhaps ill try and trade it on or try a swap?

Cheers Guys....

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I upgraded my maglite AA with a £10 kit some time ago and haven't replaced a battery since. However, I don't the the button arrangement and have reverted to the original end screw in bit. I miss the ability to alter the beam spread. As above posts say- there are now better things on the market nowadays, and if I lost it, I'd replace it with something else.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Hi cbr6fs.
I really wanted a hands free torch I could just clip on to the front of my shirt for night fishing, I’m sick o biting on to the end of my Gerber recon and drooling down it every time I need to tie on a hook or whatever.
But I must admit I did like the look o it, or should I say I didn’t know I needed it untill Id seen it.

I have an old school Pro Duo type halogen pretzel head torch “waterproof spelunkers type“ I bought for canoeing but it’s a bit heavy on the old batteries and heavy to wear, perhaps ill try and trade it on or try a swap?

Cheers Guys....

I have a few clips from various torches and have tried clipping my H502 to my chest pocket and even on my teeshirt neck.
To be honest i really struggled with both as:
a/ The light wobbled around if i moved
b/ The light is not pointing where i'm looking all the time, not a problem some times but when i'm tying off a 3 hook paternoster using both feet and my hand it quickly gets frustrating trying to play twister to get the light beam in the right spot.

With the light on my head:
a/ It's out the way
b/ It's secure (i.e. it doesn't drop in the water when i lean forward (torches, knives and phones all have done on several occasions)
c/ The beam is pretty much wobble free unless your jumping up and down on the spot or running
d/ It's lighting exactly where i'm looking

For anything around a arms length away i've found the H502 absolutely fantastic.

It gives a really wide spread beam, so at anything over 10m away the light tends to get disbursed.
As a rough example i find the light fantastic for night hiking, but of running i prefer something that gives me a little more throw to enable me too see a little further away.

For fishing, hooking bait, untangling knots and tying rigs i've yet to come across anything better.

They do 3 flavours of H502
H502 = 260Lm with a cool white 6300K tint
H502d = 170Lm with a neutral daylight 5000K tint
H502c = 142Lm with a neutral white 4000k tint

Although the standard H502 is the brightest the tint of the H502d and H502c really does help when working with anything that has colour.

Difficult to explain, but with the 6300k tint everything is illuminated but it has a washed out kind of effect.
With the H502c the tint enhances the colours of whatever your illuminating.

Personally for fishing i'd go for the H502c

Weight wise they weigh pretty much nothing.

With battery and headband
IMG_1744.jpg

With battery without headband
IMG_1747.jpg

Without battery and without headband
IMG_1748.jpg

The lights take standard AA batteries BUT i would strongly recommend investing in some Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries, they cost a bit more but i do honestly believe they are well worth it.

I recon the H502c is pretty much perfect, but of you want a light without the 90° head Zebralight have just today opened up pre-order books on their SC52.
http://www.zebralight.com/SC52-AA-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_100.html

It's 500Lm if you use 14500 batteries instead of AA's, or 280Lm if your running AA's.

Cheers
Mark

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi cbr6fs

I just had a look on Amazon I haven’t found the H502C yet but the 6.5 Lumens (30 hrs) –and Low: 2.0 Lumens (3 days) figures are looking pretty good.

I can see the rubber O rings so I can only assume they are waterproof.

The plan for this weekend is we should be going Beach fishing so how do you think they would handle 24-48 hours sub zero temps with rain and snow.

Probably a lot better than m,e my plan for Saturday night is light fire,catch some bass, drink copious amounts o whisky, try and fall asleep under tarp, stay alive until Monday, collect Sloe berries on way out..
Cheers Bro

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The Zebralight programming mode is a bit fiddly the first few times you use it, after a while though i think you'd struggle to find a better system.

Very basically you have 2 modes available to program in each level (Low, Medium, High), so your choices of output are such:

High: H1 142 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 94 Lm (1.9 hrs) / 62 Lm (3.3 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe

Medium: M1 36 Lm (7.5 hrs) or M2 18 Lm (12 hrs) / 9 Lm (27 hrs)

Low: L1 1.8 Lm (4 days) or L2 0.34 Lm (2.8 weeks) / 0.06 Lm (1.8 months) / 0.01 Lm (2.8 months)

Light output are ANSI out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.

The reflector is also made of Glow in the dark material, so even after shutting the light off it still glows for a while after.

For it's waterproof ability there were reports that a few lights in the first batch did leak around the lens when submerged in water.
These were 100% submerged though, i've not read any reports of them leaking in rain.
I've also not read any recent reports of this still happening, so it looks like it's now sorted if it does leak then ZL customer service is pretty good so i'd bet my telescopic beach caster they'd exchange it.

The H502c is classed as IPX7 which should mean it operates under 2 meters of water for 30 mins.
In reality i've used my other IPX7 rated lights for free diving and they've been fine around 10 - 15 meters depth, only thing i'm cautious about is i do not operate the switches under water.

So for the odd plop in the sea on over enthusiastic casting instances it should be fine.
I would ask who you buy it from to test it in a glass of water before sending it though just to be 100% sure.

In the colder weather to be honest i'd pick this light over all my others for the simple case that it uses NiMh type batteries.
Lithium based batteries are great most the time, but throw in some cold weather and i still rate NiMh's better.

I always order direct from Zebralight meself, looking at their site though they have the H502c on back order
http://www.zebralight.com/H502c-High-CRI-Neutral-White-AA-Flood-Headlamp-_p_95.html

Goinggear looks to have them in stock, bit more expensive though
http://goinggear.com/zebralight-h502c-high-cri-neutral-white-aa-flood-headlamp.html

Can't find any H502c's in stock in the usual UK shops, but they do have the H502d which is still a decent tint.
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/zebralight/zebralight-h502d.html
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/zebralight_h502d.html

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Hey Jared.
I did begin to wonder if they had gone under as most "all" the places I looked at were out o stock, screwed by surefire; I wonder what that was all about then? CASH prob.

Patent infringement and false advertising.

The patent was regarding the lockout tailcap switch. The false advertising was that Pentagonlight claimed some flash lights was "Made in the USA", but seemingly not entirely.

Pentagonlight was banned from selling or making any flash light that had a lockout tail cap, so it shut up shop soon after.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE